Rear Rotor Will Not Go On 2010 LR4 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKE ROVER

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I replaced my rear wheel bearing this weekend which lead me to replace the rear parking brake pads and hardware. In removing the right (passenger) side hub assembly I broke the cir-clip (HC-1 below) on the parking brake cable as it enters the back plate. This clip is under the plastic screw on cover / cap with a knurled OD and a hex. On the drivers side I realized I did not have to remove the clip to get the cable out of the backing plate, so I didn't break it. The problem came during reassembly.

The Drivers side rotor went back on just fine and adjusted great. However when I got to the passenger side with the broken cir-clip I could not get both pads to contact the lug that is opposite the star-wheel adjuster. The best way to describe it, is as if the spreader bar was too long. I tried loosening the spring loaded wedge on the back of the shoe (small M4 hex screw from front side)but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I bought the clip today from a local LR dealer so I'll be able to put the clip on tonight.
I guess I am preemptively trying to get some ideas in case the clip does not solve the issue. I find it hard to believe that the cable being into the backing plate a little further because the clip is not present would cause this kind of an issue.

Other factors:
I'm pretty confident I got the EBC in service mode before I started, however I did not get a notification that it actually went into that mode.

I was putting the old rotors back on just to get the truck on the ground - new rotors on there way, but that means they would be even harder to put on due to the bore being new and a smaller ID

I ground away (again temporary) the lip caused by wear in the brake bore to make sure it wasn't interfering.

Could I have bent the backing plate in some way while pressing the bearings out that is causing this? If so why didn't I see this same issue on the driver side, I used the same pressing techniques.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have!

upload_2020-8-3_13-27-11.png

JARentDTOM

Reaction score
I had this same problem, and unfortunately I have no idea what I did exactly. Make sure the spreader is in the exact right spot on both sides. I think I took the parking brake assembly off, had a beer, pulled some weeds, and feed the dog for about an hour, and when I put it back on viola! I hate stuff like that, but looking at a different way from the beginning sometimes helps.

MKE ROVER

Reaction score
Thanks JARentDTOM! Just knowing I wasn’t alone and wasn’t going insane gave me the patience to go back at it again and it went on!

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks JARentDTOM! Just knowing I wasn’t alone and wasn’t going insane gave me the patience to go back at it again and it went on!

Overthinking a simple problem can cause frustrating moments on your part biting you in the butt.
The ******, who to blame in these cases as the answer hurts. Hands on your best teacher, congrats on your successful ending......~~=o&o>.........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV