Rear wheel carrier latch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one of the newer T44 latches (had to upgrade from the original one since I bought it years ago). They use this version now. I find it pretty easy to use. I put a zip tie on it to keep it aligned perfectly with the hook (otherwise it has a little side to side movement). The way it locks on is really nice now, spring loaded latch thing.

1646941964672.png

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's identical to the latch I have, but the mount itself is a little different from yours. I find I have to lift up on the tire mount a bit to get it to go over the friction block/strike plate. Although I haven't tried grinding a ramp onto it yet.

Also, note the gaffer tape on the tailgate: if it weren't there, the latch would occasionally hit the paint and scratch it up as you release it, because it's under tension.
1646951969187.png

Bronco1

Reaction score
Those latches on the Tactical look a little different than the videos I have seen. I would love to see how that style works.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an older bumper, so the latches they were using were smaller. The new ones are friggen massive and I don't know why he felt the need to upgrade them. My latch arm is also different because I have the dual swing version so it has that extra plate that catches the second arm also.

I don't have to life up my arm to get it to go onto the pad. You have to adjust the mount plates around the mount plates around the main hinge bolt to adjust that. I had to drill a different hole in my plastic pad thing because it wasn't setup to support the dual swing. Probably just an oversight by T44.

1647267345227.png

nhskibm

Reaction score
I’m a +1 on the terrafirma. Just did an 8k mile trip with skis and a bike in the back and it wasn’t as big a pita as I thought a rear carrier might have been (I’m with you OP on D2 door mounted being superior).

Only ‘hiccup’ was with the 18” compos we had to cut/shave the tire carrier bolts down a little for a snug fit. Took an extra 10min on install but made it all nice and snug.

Just ran it on fins and things as a part of that trip and no rattles, and was great to have that tire out from underneath!

elixir911

Reaction score
Hello
I have a rear tire carrier made ( if I recall correctly) by an Israeli firm. I had it installed in about 2010 by the local LR dealer on an LR3, carrying a Goodyear 18" off road tire. I kept the system when I traded the LR3 for an LR4. I have some photos if of interest. I no longer need it or the tire/LR3 wheel and am happy to donate it. You would need to cover shipping and any related costs. Good luck.
Stephen

Kristina

Reaction score
Hello
I have a rear tire carrier made ( if I recall correctly) by an Israeli firm. I had it installed in about 2010 by the local LR dealer on an LR3, carrying a Goodyear 18" off road tire. I kept the system when I traded the LR3 for an LR4. I have some photos if of interest. I no longer need it or the tire/LR3 wheel and am happy to donate it. You would need to cover shipping and any related costs. Good luck.
Stephen
Where are you located? I'm interested, in So Cal.

roverca

Reaction score
I have the Terrafirma one and it's nice. The strut definitely was a nice touch to help swing out and keeps it there, but it only swings out about (guessing) 95°.

The latch is simple enough that my wife and kids can latch/unlatch it. I put a tiny pin in it to keep it from accidentally popping out, never an issue. It's easy enough for daily access.

The tire carrier doesn't have a weight capacity limit. I have an email thread with a vp level at Terrafirma and Lucky8 with me field testing a full 15 gallon fuel tank and a 255/70r17 KO2 spare tire hitting the trails hard without any issues. I didn't get any compensation or anything.

View attachment 21775

View attachment 21774

View attachment 21773
What's that between the tire and the tailgate? Was about tho order this same one. Thanks!

roverca

Reaction score
Hello
Stephen
I'm interested! I was about to by the Terrafirma one

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV