Rear winshield wiper does not turn off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roughtx

Reaction score
Everytime I turn on my rear winshield wiper, it will not turn off. The weird thing is that it only goes off when I turn the vehicle off. It is not a big deal, I just don't use it and I am fine. Does anyone have similar problems?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like classic Lucas electrical gremlins.

You might want to check the contacts in your rear wiper switch (I'm a Disco guy so not sure how the switch works), or the connections in the wiring between rear wiper motor and switch.

Other than that, posting the year and type of Rangie would be helpful.

Andy

D

discomike

Moose,
I believ you will find that the stop switch inside the wiper motor has failed and will not reset unless the power is turned off by the ignition. If that is the case, you'll need a new wiper motor to correct it unless your OK with turning the key on and off to stop it.
Mike J.

G

Grampabuck

Rear Wiper

I found that mine did that too....but then checked the owners manual and the switch for the rear has an intermittent value also. Was driving and didn't realize that fact. Activated the switch again and then it shut off. Give it a try, might be cheaper.

R

Rudrover

My 92 Rangie has a quirky rear window wiper to. I find that once you turn it on it will first do two wipes and then go into delay mode. I also found that mine will only turn off after the first two wipes and then only when it is in the rest position between wipe intervals.

Quirky things aren't they. :argh:

C

Coppertop

Even weirder Lucas kharma stumper

My 1989 Range Rover rear wiper now is currently operating in the "incessant mode." No response to switch inputs. Being smart (so I thought), I decided to pull the fuse since I don't really use or need the rear wiper or rear defrost and those are the only thing listed on the circuit. It was, of course, blown and replacing it made no difference. My commute was spent giving the wiper a little squirt to reduce friction every couple of minutes. When I got home I noticed that when I opened the door (with key on), that it would stop. Further ascertained that simply leaving the dome light on causes it to cease operation. Solution so far, drive with dome light on and remember, hopefully, to turn off upon exit.

Loose ground? The ghost of Sir Lucas amusing himself? Help?

Phillip

C

Coppertop

Update. No diagnostic work yet but it seems like the lights on cutout may be a design feature to prevent wiper operation when back glass is opened (maybe getting things out of the back with the car running in the rain is frequent enough to design toward).

Any other help would be appreciated. My relay sounds suspect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo