rear wiper motor successfully fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cj60

Reaction score
I have been searching for this a while, until I found this replacement gear which is common for failure.
If you have a noisy rear wiper and doesn't make a full sweep, this maybe your solution.

I took a chance and order this without looking inside the motor if this part is the same.
Black gear = NEW
White gear = OLD

new and old gear.JPG

1) remove the rubber seal on the upper door, just pull it.
2) remove the screw in the handle (liftgate)
3) remove liftgate striker trim (you do not need to remove the striker).
4) remove liftgate trim panel (11 clips).

5) remove the clip (2x) attached on motor bracket.
IMG_4851.JPG

6) remove the motor wire harness.
7) remove 3 nuts holding the motor.
8) remove screws (6) to open up the motor.

The metal piece is not included, you can use the one from the old gear
and put it in placed, and look like this.
new and old gear with metal clip 3.JPG

The motor look like this after you assembled the new gear:
done 1.JPG

Add some grease on it and put the cover back with 6 screws.
You can now install the motor back and put all the trim that you removed.

Now you have a quiet motor and works like a charm !!!
cost for gear is $22 shipped from Turkey and it took only 4 days to SoCal.
part from Bross BGE24, I ordered from Amazon.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks loads for sharing this! That motor is probably a $250 part from LR and any mechanic would just recommend you replace the motor....likely a $450 job with labor.

Did you see anything wrong with the old part when you took it out? Are the teeth worn?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you provide the link to Amazon or where ever if is you ordered the part. I am not very familiar with ordering via Amazon - eBay is where I find most of my stuff.

Also, was there a Land Rover part number or is this what might be called "after market"?

Replacing the gear sounds like a good preventive maintenance task as presumably all the older motors have the softer gear material and are wearing.

You post is much appreciated.

cj60

Reaction score
Could you provide the link to Amazon or where ever if is you ordered the part. I am not very familiar with ordering via Amazon - eBay is where I find most of my stuff.

Also, was there a Land Rover part number or is this what might be called "after market"?

Replacing the gear sounds like a good preventive maintenance task as presumably all the older motors have the softer gear material and are wearing.

You post is much appreciated.

I didn't see any Land Rover part # on it.
If you go to Amazon and search for "Bross BGE24" you'll see it.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I just ordered the gear.

It will be spring when it warms up before I do the fix, but at least I will have the part - hopefully it will fit the motor in my 2005 LR3 so let you know in a few months.

My motor sounds OK but the 3 is now about 12 years old so the nylon should be getting brittle if nothing else.

With shipping, it cost about $US18.80 or $CDN25.27, within the budget so to speak.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gear arrived today and as advertised.

That was pretty quick from Turkey - ordered Feb 3 and arrived Feb 10.

I expect these guys in Turkey make the OEM parts so it is probably made of good material.

It will be spring however before I install it as a preventative maintenance item.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our LR4 rear wiper stuck at mid-wipe and made the awful clicking noise as heard around 1:07 in the video linked below. Found this excellent post by @cj60, took my wiper motor apart and have the same damaged plastic gear.

However, I also noticed the wiper shaft was extremely difficult to move by hand, almost as bad as in the video below around 10:20. I believe this is the root cause of the gear failure. The shaft is binding, the plastic gear can't handle the load, and the plastic teeth shear off. Taking the shaft out for a clean & lube seemed to help dramatically. I was able to pull/pry mine out without hammering. I had no corrosion as seen in the video, but after installing it will turn with 2 fingers, which was not possible before removal. And, now it slides in & out easily.

I have the plastic gear on order from eBay (couldn't find on Amazon). I actually found 2 different gears from the same seller, claimed to be 1mm different diameter, but one includes the metal piece. I ordered both to compare them. The plastic gears are made in Turkey by Bross, the eBay seller claims to ship from a USA warehouse. Seems the new part number added some letters, search for "BGE24FBA". I'll report back when I receive the gears and get one installed.

Also, I believe the entire wiper motor assembly is LR part # LR029682 which is $200-$225 from most discount dealers. If my repair is a fail, I'll shell out for a new one, but I figured $20 was worth a try before $220+.

:help:

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's fixed! Had to use the 54mm gear w/o metal piece, current Bross p/n BGE24FBA. The other gear that includes the metal piece is 53mm diameter, looks almost identical, but the shape/pitch of the teeth seemd slightly different. The 53mm gear may have worked, but I didn't try it. The Bross descriptions are pretty awful, they have zero fitment data for years/models, just "Land Rover". Re-using the old metal piece was not a problem.

Top Gear Top Tip: The toothed arm MUST be placed in the same position relative to the metal C-shaped piece as it was originally. If it's in the opposite / 180° position, the wiper arm will rotate in the opposite direction. Don't install the wiper arm until you have tested & verified the rotation is correct. Apply a piece of masking tape to the shaft and make sure it's turning as expected, then install the wiper arm. That way the arm doesn't try to swing down across the tailgate instead of up across the glass. I had mine backwards on the first try, as I failed to document the toothed arm position and I had a 50/50 shot of getting it right the first time.

Photos coming later, I snapped a few pics, but need to re-size and annotate them.

Current link below to BGE24FBA, if the URL stops working, try this link instead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut