Recap Of Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

neytas2000

I have been reading this forum everyday for almost an hour since about Late April. So far I notice the same handful of people are posting. So the discussions have been about - Suspension Faults - MPG - Accessory Installs and usage - Tires (US) or Tyres (UK) - some body work, Paint issues - Warning Lights - Dealer Customer service - and some GOOD stuff. What have I left off? I want to grill the local dealer (who is probably sick of me popping in and discussing the LR3 and not buying one yet) to get a feel of how they would handle my problems if I had one. I, like many of you, feel that if you have a good dealer/dealer network (3 here in Atlanta owned by the same company) they should be able to stand up to the issue and take care of it with minimal P.I.T.A factor [P(ain) I(n) T(he) A(ss)] for the owners.

Reading all of this still does not make me feel 100% on buying one. One part of me says what the hell - and one part of me (my back pocket, where my wallet goes) says 'hold on a minute'

I have few questions - How many LR3's have been sold so far in the US (regardless of SE or HSE) This will hopefully help me come up with a %age of issues against the number sold. Of course not everyone who owns one is posting.. I encourage the readers who don't post to please post something... even if its a one time deal and you simply tell us that 'you're cool' or you love the beast!!!

Human nature is to talk about bad things more than good things... so since I only notice a handful of screen names... and I know there must be 1000s more vehicle's sold... the ratio of P.I.T.A vehicles to 'No Issues' vehicles leans to the 'No Issues'

Please reply with thought to my comments so I can go ahead and buy this damn thing. I do love it and am convincing my wife day by day... but I want to be 100% when i sign on the dotted line. $40-$50K is a lot of money and since I have a baby at home - I don't want to tell her one day that I blew her college fund on a Truck!!!

C

Colt45

10,000 LR3s have been sold in 2005 (as of June 05). I don't know how many were sold before that. - - - As to buying or not, - that all depends on you and your priorities. For me, rock solid dependability of a Toyota or Lexus in a vehicle that seemed a little boring couldn't beat out the fun and features of the LR3. I bought it knowing Land Rover's past reputation for quality/reliability - (and its more than just trash talk from a few disgruntled owners - - these are backed by JD Power reports). - - - When it comes down to it - the LR3 is an unknown quantity at this point. A new design - and the first design under Ford ownership. - - - On a positive note, the problems that I've experienced with my particular LR3 (paint/body and nav system) don't seem to be had by other owners - at least no one else has mentioned them or responded to my posts saying so on this or the other Land Rover forums that I've visited. - - - I would say that in the case of the LR3 - - THE QUALITY OF YOUR LOCAL DEALER SERVICE IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE. Of course, you can't just throw up your hands if youre not happy with service and just go down the street to another dealer and you cant take it into your local generic mechanic. (I feel sorry for the guys who have dealers that say that their shop can't get to their car for over 2 weeks and have no loaners for them.) Thankfully, I have a very good, service orientated dealer and a state with strong Lemon Laws. Its been in the shop for 3 weeks of the 6 weeks that I've owned it. Would I buy it again if I had to do it all over again? - - I don't know, - - ask me again in another month and we'll see. Best of luck with your decision, - -

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Granger

"Of course, you can't just throw up your hands if youre not happy with service and just go down the street to another dealer "

Colt,
Are you saying that you HAVE to go to the dealer you purchased from for service? I know with both my Honda and Dodge I have taken them to dealers other then the one I purchased from.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He may be saying that there isn't a dealer on every corner.

He also may be saying that LR dealers won't give you a free loaner if you didn't buy from them.

We drive an hour (one way) to get to our LR dealer...

T

tommithy

You can go to other dealers. The problem is that there are few Land Rover dealers around. It's not like Honda or Dodge or othere for that matter where you have 3-5 different dealers in a metro area. For example, there is 1 (yes ONE) Land Rover dealer in the whole state of Oregon. In Washington, there are 2 of them, both in the northern part of the state. I live in Vancouver, WA just on the border of Oregon. My only choice for service without driving 3 hours is the dealer in Portland. Fortunately for me they have been very responsive, always have a loaner, and usually can see me within a few days.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say it over and over again... you can't judge anything from uncontrolled postings in any Internet forum. It is not a decent cross-section of owners. Yes, even if every reader posted.

If "top reliability" & "excellent customer service" is of the highest importance to you... any Land Rover is not for you. Unless you really need the extreme off-road capability & utility, I'd steer you elsewhere... even though I've had no problems. (Well, other than Land Rover's constant misinformation.)

J

juice

neytas...

I can give you my reasons for buying the lr3. Maybe these will help you decide.

I looked at many SUVs (Durango, 4runner, jeeps, touareg, and others). My criteria were (in this order):

1. reliability
2. off road ability
3. seating (comfort to rear seat passengers)

I narrowed my selection down to the 4runner, which looked like the perfect vehicle for me… on paper… great reliability reputation, good ground clearance, seating for 7.

Then I sat in one. I’m over 6’ tall. I sat in the driver’s seat and was very cramped with the seat all the way back – ‘whatever…’ I thought, ‘its an suv, I should expect that.’ I sat in the second row, and my legs were hitting the seat in front of me. I tried the third row, and with my knees in my chest, I couldn’t fold the second row seat back to locked position. The cloth seats felt ‘cheap’. The 4runner had everything you’d expect (cup holders, etc), but everything was awkwardly positioned, as if the designer thought ‘well… it needs a cup holder, and I have some extra room over there.’ Nothing in the car ‘flowed’, it felt like nothing was thought out. For the large exterior size, the truck is very small inside. Remember, this was the truck I was in love with before I actually sat in it. With the build I wanted, the 4runner would cost around $35k… not that cheap.

I had similar experiences with the Liberty, Durango, and the Cherokee.

Right after my trip to the Toyota dealership, I stopped by at land rover on a whim. I was shocked. The first view of the lr3 was one parked on some rocks, each wheel at a different height, while the body was perfectly level. Sitting in the lr3 after the 4runner, the driver’s seat felt like a sports car. Plenty of room in the second row, and a first for me, I could sit comfortably in the 3rd row. The air suspension gives the ability to drive off road, and then ride low and tight on the highway. The lr3 ‘flowed’… I’d reach out to where I expected a button, cup holder, control knob… and there it was. The ride is honestly smoother than my father’s expensive mercedes. The engine and transmission are built for war.

This is the argument I formed in my head… any SUV will cost me at least $35k. for $15k, I believe the quality of build on the lr3 is a bargain.

5000 miles later…

I’m an engineer, and I generally notice the nuisances and design details that are often overlooked. Every week, I still find aspects of the car that make me think ‘good job land rover’…. ‘well thought out’. In terms of reliability… I’ve had one problem… and I’ll suffice it to say that the seatbelts are not german shepherd chew-proof. :)

I firmly believe that the land rover is built very well, and will last a long time. Some owners report problems… but infant mortality of components is expected - go check out BMW or mercedes forums, and I’m sure you’ll find just as many problems.

I say go for it… get the truck. You’ll love it.

T

toddjb123

Convenient local dealer is important. My dealer is not convenient from home (for morning or evening drop-off), but isn't so bad from work. So, I got around the problem by asking, before purchase, if it is allright for me to always drop the car off at lunch, pick up a loaner, and return at some future lunch to pick it up. They said "no problem," which alleviated my convenience factor.

I think there are 3 dealers within an hour of me. One is awful. Two seem pretty good. Naturally only the one I purchased from will give the free loaner.

There are lemons in every car model. There are feature trade-offs as the car will never meet 100% of your needs. That said, I'm happy with my purchase.

N

neytas2000

Juice - we seem to think alike. I am thinking the same thing 'go for it'. And like I mentioned, we have 3 dealerships or LR centers in the Atlanta area and one is like .5 miles from my work and 2 miles from home. I also know they have 20+ LR3s for their loaner fleet (thats what a technician told me off-site)
I owned a disco 1 (1999) and was reluctant then. I had small minor issues that were fixed at the next service and that was in a much smaller town with only 1 dealership that was also not a stand alone LR center (i.e. it was also a MB and Porsche dealership) so I think the dealership has my confidence. Ther parent company has a lot to loose when they have 3 LR shops

F

Freeflytim

Go up to Gwinett. Don't go to Buckhead.

I popped into Buckhead one Friday months ago with something I wanted them to look at and the service guy told me "we are the busiest Land Rover dealer in the southeast and I have an opening next Wednesday." He told me to drive to Gwinett where 'they are slower.' Then he asked me if I had the LR road-side number handy. Not what I wanted to hear. It turned out everything was cool, but ***? Screw LR Buckhead.

Also, when I was shopping for my truck I visited or talked to all Atlanta dealers and the dealers in Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville. Mary at LR Gwinett was the most knowledgeable of all of them. Chattanooga got me a truck before Gwinett did, but I felt guilty for not buying it from her!

But, Im glad things worked out as they did. My Chattanooga dealer has treated my like royalty. Tho all dealers are supposed to treat all owners the same, I don't see them treating me like they have if I bought the truck 125 miles away. I showed up one day for an oil change, they asked me if I was going to wait or if I needed a loaner. Loaner if possible I say and plop down in front of the TV. 20 minutes later Im given the keys to a Enterprise rental. They didn't have loaners availble but paid for a rental! When the compressor on my suspension went out the GM had them take the unit out of his personal truck instead of waiting on the part. I digress.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink