red line on the tach?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to looking more closely at the tachometer on my LR3 and I cannot see a "red line" mark. Am I blind or are red lines not marked on tachometers, (at least LR3 tachs), any longer?

Also does anyone know what rpm would be considered to be the red line?

I have a 2005 LR3 HSE with the 4.4 V8 and am routinely downshifting using the command shift function as an aid to braking - or more correctly, as a wallet aid, so I can use my money filling the gas tank rather than buying rotors.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an automatic transmission. Isn't a tachometer kind of pointless? I doubt that the ZF Transmission Control Module would allow breaching the engine max RPM.

Anywho, I'm not close to my LR3 or Owner's Manual at the moment and can't answer the question, sorry.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can one over rev downshifting?

The reason I wondered about red line was the question of can one over rev downshifting.

I know with a standard transmission and too much speed for the selected lower gear, that with lack of attention, one can be a klutz and overrev an engine.

I wondered if the same could occur with the LR3, or would the automatic transmission just refuse to downshift or kind of put itself into neutral?

Anyways, it looks like there is no red line marked on the tach. Yes, 6,000 rpm as a max sounds about right, and I use the word sounds, as in not a nice sound.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it would refuse to downshift.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will not be able to downshift if your engine's reviving to high.. the display may show it, but you may not be in the gear.. once you drop below the magic RPM threshold it'll shift

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to know the red line put it in sport mode and pick a gear floor it and when it shifts that's it!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and if you're downshifting that high to save your brakes, don't. Brakes cost $350. I think I'd rather not stress the trans and the engine to avoid paying $350 a little earlier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM