Refuses to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V-12

Reaction score
First let me say we love our LR4 and it’s our 5th LR/RR. We’ve had an unusual issue happen twice over the last 6 months. Both times happen after opening the tailgate without remote unlocking with the key (vehicle was locked). Tailgate opens because we have smart key on us, we load items, close tailgate. Get inside. Lr4 image shows as well as the land rover image on screens as expected. Here’s where it gets crazy. Brake pedal will not allow foot pressure and feels locked in place. Then press start button. Nothing happens. Images on screens remain as is. No electronic/ accessories but will have working door locks. I get out. Remote lock and remote unlock with key, open tailgate, close tailgate. Get in. Bingo! All is back to normal. Crazy. Has anyone one else experienced anything like this? Curious.

Last edited:

Strizzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should flash/beep to confirm that it’s still locked when you close the back after opening via smart key and then closing.
Might be a candidate for a hard reset to try and fix the problem.

V-12

Reaction score
Thanks Strizzo. Didnt take note as to whether it relocked between closing the tailgate and getting into it. I agree it may need a reset but we have been able to start it after running through the process again. Nonetheless it will be a keeper until a new defender 90 is acquired.

nidnul

Reaction score
Not sure if it's the same behavior, but I had this happen the other day. Got in, hard brake pedal, turned on ignition but not start. Pressed the brake harder, started. I've had several car that do the hard brake every once in a while when you get in, usually first thing on cold mornings. My theory is that the brake just didn't move far enough for the computer to "see" it and start. Pressing harder got it there and everything was normal.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo