Remote Starter install - perplexed at Becm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

awisnia

Installed a Parrot bluetooth (awesome) unit in my '97 P38a a few weeks ago..went so smoothly, I moved on to the radio control remote starter installation..

Thanks to the rave disk, I THOUGHT it was going to be a piece of cake.

These units are straightforward..you press a button and the device turns on the ignition and then cranks until it senses the running engine (by voltage or tach input)

The factory wiring diagram shows three wires to the Becm from the ingition switch. They sink the inputs to ground at the various switch positions. (accy, run start) three wires, three inputs at the becm.

However, after carfeully soldering into the harness at the becm, things aren't behaving as expected. If I ground the wire at C258-8 ("run" - I think) OR the wire at C257-6 ("Start" - I think) the engine turns over and starts - leaving the starter engaged and running. (the key was not in the ignition)

I'm lost as to why the application of ground at C258-8 would cause the starter to engage when this appears to be the input to turn on the ignition relay ONLY.

I'm tempted to move around to the outputs of the BECM and trigger the ignition relay and starting relay directly, but I'm concerned that the becm may need to turn on other stuff as well....

I'm really still curious as to why the inputs are not working as expected.

I need to do a bit more testing at various states to see what the ignition switch is really doing - maybe the inputs have to happen in a particular order? Maybe the switch shorts all contacts when "off" and I'm feeding back through it?

Anyone??

Cheers..

AW
Boston, MA

4ringtuning

Dont know if this helps but hey give it a shot..
1997 Land Rover Range Rover Security Information

Constant 12V+ Brown/Light Green Under Driver's Dash or go to Battery

Starter Purple/Yellow (negative) Ignition Switch Harness

Ignition White (-) Ignition Switch Harness

Accessory White/Pink (-) Ignition Switch Harness

Brake Switch White/Gray Brake Switch

Trunk Pin White (-) BCM under Passenger's Seat

Parking Lights Red (+) Connector right of Steering Column

Factory Disarm Blue (-) Or Blue/Red Pulse during Lock

Door Trigger Purple/Red (-) BCM under Passenger's Seat

Door Lock Yellow (-) or Yellow/Red One Wire Locks

Door Unlock Yellow (-)

Horn Wire Purple/Brown (-) BCM under Passenger's Seat

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Everything I read or hear about anyone installing a remote starter always ends up getting removed or paying lots of money to have it sorted out... major issues can occur with remote starters on Land Rovers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM