Removable tow hitch issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having a hell of a time putting the removable hitch into the lr3. I follow what the cars manual states and still seem to not get it in. It's like it won't allow it to fully release the lock to go in. Any suggestions? I've been towing for years with other trucks and here I feel silly.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the big green knob out till you see red then insert. Let the knob rotate back.
You do have the key in right?

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have the key in turned clockwise and have pulled the green knob out showing the orange ring. The latch doesn't fully retract like I think it should, so its hitting

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huelsmma, you have to
1. insert and turn key
2. pull out green knob, turn green knob until it locks into place.
3. push up into receiver.

If you did it right you will hear a big "clank" sound.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huelsmma, it isn't just you. That hitch mechanism is a pain in the butt every time I have to deal with it. I don't take it out that often but will have to lube it the next time I do. I doesn't seem like that mechanism would even work if it gets a little dried out.

I guess this is the price for having a removable hitch designed to not impact the ground clearance.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting it in. The mechanism was kust being stubborn and wouldn't fully release. Now I just have to install the electrics I ordered online and follow the install on this site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635