Removing Door Moldings/Trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D90

Reaction score
So I just purchased a 2006 HSE yesterday and love it, except for the molding on the doors. I haven't seen many LR3s with this molding, and I much prefer the look without it.

I was wondering if anyone had experience removing these. I am thinking it is as simple as double sided tape, but I want to verify first before getting in there. So trim adhesive remover and a rubber wedge of some sort was how I was going to go about removing it.

I also wanted to know if the paint was going to be uniform on the door. I don't want to take it off and have the outline of where it had been visible.

This is on a Bonatti Grey LR3. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 146

Helmutdiggy

Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm afraid of taking them off and not being the same shade, and having a hard time getting the adhesive off. As far as taking the molding off try a long piece of dental floss and working it back and forth , or a guitar string maybe.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Held on w/ double sided tape. Unless there is shoddy paint underneath, a good bit of floss, followed by goof-off and then wax and polsih for good measure and you should be done.
LR pulled these form sale about 6 mths back, due to adhesive failures. Myabe if you wait long enough, they will remove themselves!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have those, and it's saved me more than once in parking lots. Yours seems to be mounted lower than specification, though. Yes, they are just double stick tape and are removed like any vehicle sticky badging. A hot day and dental floss is a good start... and just peel it off. Then clean up using your favorite goo remover.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sidesteps save me from inconsiderate parkers! They stick out and take the brunt of doors from the Toyota Corollas of the world.

Anyhow, the other thing you have to consider here is whether the paint NOT under the molding has faded from UV exposure. It is a risk...

D90

Reaction score
Anyhow, the other thing you have to consider here is whether the paint NOT under the molding has faded from UV exposure. It is a risk...

That is my biggest concern. I guess worst case scenario is I put them back on. Now I have to go ask the wife if she has the same dislike for them as I do, as it is her car.

Thanks for the help guys.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of removing mine. I did searches on disco3uk and I read about 4 posts of people removing theirs with no fading or permanent damage.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sort of like mine - maybe I'm weird. But it breaks up the silver on ours nicely.

-Rich

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had LR3 dealer install side moldings but it came out with weird angle. I looked at the instruction it comes with and actually they did what the instruction says.

So, I took them off, applied new double side tape and installed them myself. Now I like the way it looks

30aars8.jpg

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking LR3 Mr. Flysurfer! What's that white stuff in front of your truck? Don't have any of that around here...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72