Removing rear seats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those latch bars on the backs of the seats look like possible tie down points
Those are 'tether strap anchorage points' for a child seat or a restraint system in the second row seats. In case you have a youngster or perhaps someone in custody! (same thing)...LOL. Owners Book pg.43. Just another one of the "Clever asf" things that makes us love these trucks...in spite of some of their frailties. With seats down, probably useful as cargo tie-downs as well.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the configuration that ftillier pointed out with the cargo cover stowed in-between the 2nd and 3rd rows. I had no idea it would go in there and it fits nicely.

ekK5J4V.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, build a cargo system like this one, with a slight modification. The modification would be to add a few bars that would go horizontally, side-to-side, at the floor level. Those horizontal bars would be positioned in a way that the tub or storage container you slide into this cargo system slide over the space once occupied by the third-row seats, but still allow you to access that space if you pull the storage container out.

(EDIT: Now that I think of it, maybe a front-to-back bar would be better than side-to-side. This is why I never implement any of my plans.)

I've been browsing Pelican cases online and figuring out what size would work best for this, but one of those Costco black and yellow storage tubs would probably work just as well if this is all you'll be using them for.

For anyone interested in going the Pelican route for rear storage, two BX90r cases would be near perfect for the rear of the LR4.

I bought one for the purpose of just trying it out, with the idea of building some sort of box that two of these would slide into with a carpeted false-floor above them.

IMG_0261.jpeg

Ignore all the other crap in the back. Moving things around and trying different things out.

Benefit of this would be that, unlike drawers, you can easily remove the Pelican and carry it somewhere. You can also strap it to a roofrack and use the rear for something else.

Downside for me (at least with this particular model) is that the cargo/dog guard makes it so I can't stack these in the rear. The cargo guard angles rearward about 14" off of the floor and decreases the effective length of the rear storage area.

That all said, I think I may go a different direction. As much as I hate to give in (and have not wanted to give in for the last 20 years), the ubiquitous overlander drawers may be the direction I go.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested in going the Pelican route for rear storage, two BX90r cases would be near perfect for the rear of the LR4.

I bought one for the purpose of just trying it out, with the idea of building some sort of box that two of these would slide into with a carpeted false-floor above them.

View attachment 24230

Ignore all the other crap in the back. Moving things around and trying different things out.

Benefit of this would be that, unlike drawers, you can easily remove the Pelican and carry it somewhere. You can also strap it to a roofrack and use the rear for something else.

Downside for me (at least with this particular model) is that the cargo/dog guard makes it so I can't stack these in the rear. The cargo guard angles rearward about 14" off of the floor and decreases the effective length of the rear storage area.

That all said, I think I may go a different direction. As much as I hate to give in (and have not wanted to give in for the last 20 years), the ubiquitous overlander drawers may be the direction I go.
I’m still stacking Costco yellow top bins 2X2. I’m a poor overlander.

Front runner here you come! They do make a nice set.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not going with Front Runner. I can spend $3k on a lot of things, but just can't justify $3k for some drawers.

I saw that Ironman 4x4 had a winter sale and took a chance on their 900mm version. They could be cheap as ****. Probably are. But my plan is to modify them a bit, build my own wing compartments, maybe recarpet them, add some additional tie downs, etc. I'll post about it when I get them and get around to it.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't go the drawer route. I use gear bags instead and that enabled the conversion the area when the weather is bad from sleeping to a workspace with space for a 27" monitor, 17" laptop and a tower PC. Its a pretty sweet setup. Collapsing all the rear seats completely so there is a flat space to use is a big feature. With the GWagon the rear seats need to be removed and its not flat afterwards. Plus I had no place to put the seats.

Its a bit hard to get in and out of through the passenger door when its setup as a workstation but for me it beats paying for, towing and maintaining an RV of any kind by a long-shot. Plus the LR4 can go much deeper into the country w/out a trailer.

nYzjVGK.jpg

yXg7MKz.jpg

I5QamMM.jpg

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not going with Front Runner. I can spend $3k on a lot of things, but just can't justify $3k for some drawers.

I saw that Ironman 4x4 had a winter sale and took a chance on their 900mm version. They could be cheap as ****. Probably are. But my plan is to modify them a bit, build my own wing compartments, maybe recarpet them, add some additional tie downs, etc. I'll post about it when I get them and get around to it.
Sweet! I almost got that last year and was going to mount a fridge slide on it, but then decided it would be too high to actually get into the fridge without another folding step or something. But they look reasonable so good luck. Hope you find a clean solution.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used pelican and other cases for a long time, with the cargo barrier. But eventually I took the 3rd row seats out and put in front runner drawers. I don't regret it at all because I can keep gear more organized and more easily access it. I have a stove that is plumbed to propane in one drawer that I can even put an oven on. I also put in an overkill lifepo4 battery setup under the drawers that I use for heated blankets and small space heaters for cold sleeping or fans for hot sleeping. I built a whole sleeping platform for the 2nd row that just bolts in and out pretty quickly. I have a solo mode and a 4 person family mode. I keep my fridge in the 2nd row middle all the time.

I have a more descriptive thread here and plans for the cabinets here

IMG_6426.jpg

IMG_6337.jpg

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Threads like this are what has me eyeing up $8k LR4s on FB marketplace. Would love to strip one out and delete so much stuff if I can get the engine and tranny in shape.
Al

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72