Removing rear seats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to take this space here:

gAAFgWI.jpg

and expand it by removing all the seats and the mechanisms. Its hard to tell depth from the pic below, but that space on the floor is pretty deep. With all the seats out there would be more room to put heavy stuff down low and below the center of gravity. Things like my generator, battery packs, 10 gallons of gas, 18 gallons of water and all my camping gear. Has anyone done that, remove all that rear seating, to gain more cargo room?

rhCeQMg.jpg

Here is a payload shot. It is pretty impressive while having a rear locker. Toyota decreases payload when you get the locker to a dismal amount.

Cz9bvmG.jpg)

chH52HY.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My plan is to maybe do this myself, but it will probably require a false floor over it as the floor under the 3rd row seats is pretty uneven.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The unevenness of the floor might contribute to cargo not sitting right. For me all the rear seats feel like wasted space.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the EU, there were some cargo versions of the LR4.
Probably find a premade subfloor there.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The unevenness of the floor might contribute to cargo not sitting right. For me all the rear seats feel like wasted space.

I think the optimal use for the space is for small packaged things, like a tool roll, tire plug kit, etc.

Then, over the top, do something like a sliding floor, like this one:

Or, build a cargo system like this one, with a slight modification. The modification would be to add a few bars that would go horizontally, side-to-side, at the floor level. Those horizontal bars would be positioned in a way that the tub or storage container you slide into this cargo system slide over the space once occupied by the third-row seats, but still allow you to access that space if you pull the storage container out.

(EDIT: Now that I think of it, maybe a front-to-back bar would be better than side-to-side. This is why I never implement any of my plans.)

I've been browsing Pelican cases online and figuring out what size would work best for this, but one of those Costco black and yellow storage tubs would probably work just as well if this is all you'll be using them for.

Last edited:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm making the rear even more simple by removing the seats (maybe) :D

There would be an 18" gain at least in cargo area with the rear seats removed:

L4TWcze.jpg

then I can keep heavy objects low and balanced. Removing the seats will also keep heavy things lower away from the windows. If I set anything heavy rear-forward the glass is right there and things can slide around and out the window.

The refer is about 90 lbs filled with steak. Then I have a 100 lb 8 man canvas tent, a 65 pound generator, desk, computer gear and all my other gear that I need for a couple weeks at least. Plus when it storms out I will need to drop the tent and do my computer work inside the LR4. Removing the rear seats will also give me headroom so when I'm back there doing my thing I will have more space around me. I can barely sit up on the rear seats folded down and I couldn't do it without the roof tapering higher where the rear seats are. Its super nice in there facing rear ward sitting down on the rear seats with the skylights and big windows in the back. I'll have a fantastic view of everything, a window office.

Xnsmk6J.jpg

kC2okQ9.jpg

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the optimal use for the space is for small packaged things, like a tool roll, tire plug kit, etc.

Then, over the top, do something like a sliding floor, like this one:

Or, build a cargo system like this one, with a slight modification. The modification would be to add a few bars that would go horizontally, side-to-side, at the floor level. Those horizontal bars would be positioned in a way that the tub or storage container you slide into this cargo system slide over the space once occupied by the third-row seats, but still allow you to access that space if you pull the storage container out.

(EDIT: Now that I think of it, maybe a front-to-back bar would be better than side-to-side. This is why I never implement any of my plans.)

I've been browsing Pelican cases online and figuring out what size would work best for this, but one of those Costco black and yellow storage tubs would probably work just as well if this is all you'll be using them for.

That vid had a great view of seats 6 and 7 completely removed. A removable slider would be cool. Those guys custom fabbed it like that is what they do for a living lol. I may go with a stationary floor, even if it is thick carpeted plywood.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2nd row can push down more. After you flip the seat backs down, there's a pull strap at the front of the seat cushion that you can pull to allow the seats the collapse, giving a flat load space. The luggage cover clips into the gap between the 2nd and 3rd row, on the black buttons on the outboard side of the outboard 2nd row seat backs (you can see them in your picture)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72