Repaired peeling key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 LR4 key fob was peeling on the surface with the logo. I ordered a Remote Smart Key Button Pad Repair Kit (OEM part: LR052882) from The Attic Market Auto for $21.59 delivered. This was about $5 less than what I found on AMZ Prime.

This is not a replacement fob and no programming is necessary after the repair. It is only the top and bottom pieces of the plastic shell. A couple of points from the repair process:

1. This PDF came in handy: https://www.discovery-parts.de/assets/files/LR4-Remote-Repair.pdf
2. Prying the logo cover off took a bit of finagling but the plastic is sturdy so just use common sense. I used the lever portion of a pair of nail clippers.
3. I only used the half of the kit with the LR logo. The reason is that the other half of the kit (with the various control buttons) didn’t have the plunger that you push in to get to the spare key or open the battery cover. I couldn’t see how to move that piece from the original to the new one, plus my original was still in perfect shape so I kept it.
4. The replacement didn’t come with the silicone gasket on the inside of the logo half, so I transferred it from the original to the new one.

Back in business and now I don’t have to be embarrassed when I nonchalantly toss my keys (logo side up, of course) on the table. :biggrin:

PS: Bonus shot of the Landy that just got spiffed up this morning.

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5726.jpg

IMG_5727.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love it. Only the OCD guys will appreciate this thread. :hello::bandit:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 was also peeling. They had a similar kit for the new fobs as well. It was done under warranty.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love it. Only the OCD guys will appreciate this thread. :hello::bandit:

LOL churious, I was thinking the same thing over the past few months that this has been bugging me! If the shoe fits...we know who we are...

My 2013 was also peeling. They had a similar kit for the new fobs as well. It was done under warranty.

Quijote, I had both my 2011 fobs "fixed" under warranty and the one I use every day STILL peeled again. The replacement kit features a design without the rubbery glued-on skin. Speaking of OCD, I actually tried to get a fingernail under the new one to see if it was going to happen again but I think they came up with a solid fix this time.

Last edited:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 did the same thing. Black duct tape fixed it sufficiently for a while, but the LR dealership was nice enough to replace under warranty.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The logo side is fine on my original 2011 key. Button side is starting to peel up.

15DEEA1B-284B-42D9-ADC3-D18D5128941B_zpsl4kflj3w.jpg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote, I had both my 2011 fobs "fixed" under warranty and the one I use every day STILL peeled again. The replacement kit features a design without the rubbery glued-on skin. Speaking of OCD, I actually tried to get a fingernail under the new one to see if it was going to happen again but I think they came up with a solid fix this time.

2013 key fobs look nothing like that.

IL-TIK-ROV-16.jpg

Red Landie

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience and advice with the replacement key fob covers. I too experienced the peeling problem with the skin on my 2010 key fob. I noticed in the factory instructions that they inexplicably glossed over transferring the little push button plunger assembly. I used jeweler's screwdrivers, tweezers, and a magnifying glass to remove and install the plunger assembly into the new top portion of the key fob. It was a bear to do. I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you have the proper tools and a lot of patience. Why they didn't include the plunger assembly or a new silicone gasket in the replacement cover mystifies me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA