replace tie rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so. brought the lr3 in for its 45K service.. dealer had to replace both tie rods. and rear propeller shaft?

anyway, also had to get an alignment.. which i paid for.. my question .. can one replace the tie rods without performing an alignment? seems like if they are replacing the tie rods under warranty they shouldn't have charged me for an alignment?

Last edited:

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how bad the old ones were. Probably to be safe.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible to replace the tie rods without having an alignment done. However, it is always recommended that you do. You can mark the old tie rods or measure the exact distance from the center of the tie rod end to a point or count the exact number of rotations when you unscrew them then install the new one the exact same turns. If you are good at it you can get pretty close. I've done a few and the car tracked perfectly. Honestly, Belle Tire or an independent shop will generally do them pretty cheap if you are willing to let them touch your truck. Some people have alignments done as maintenance every 40-60K.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it mostly depends on the dealer. When I had my tie rods replaced, the dealer did the front alignment for free but highly recommended I do the rear alignment at the same time. They gave me a very discounted rate for the rear one. Then again, I know the service manager pretty well, we both go offroading in our local LR club. I'd call your service manager and see if they can reimburse for at least some of it, especially since you're still under the manufacturer warranty.

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At just under 28K, my LR3 failed our annual state inspection for a "loose tie-rod". Two days at the dealer, they fixed it, did an alignment on the front, replaced my broken CD player, and did an oil change. All covered under the full warranty. I just couldn't be happier.

BJ

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99