Replacement Timing Chain/Tensioner Longevity Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlimanov

Reaction score
Thanks, Ryan, this definitely makes sense. I feel the new steel button is a primary solution to the issue, with revised tensioner geometry. Cleaner oil will definitely help the tensioners to operate optimally, I just wish there was a consensus on how long the updated guides last.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2012 LR4 with 40k miles on it and the timing chains were done by my dealer at around 80k miles. Nothing bad happened, but I was just relentless with them trying to get the job done under my CPO warranty. Truth be told, my engine sounded pretty much the same before and after.

Anyway, for those 40k miles I had it, I can attest the oil was changed every 6k miles. Before me, though, I think it was a leased vehicle so I'm guessing it was 15k miles.

I'm guessing I can safely go a few hundred thousand miles or more on the updated guides. That's what some well-maintained LR4s are getting on the old guides, so I feel it's reasonable to expect that one these ones.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but the chain guide issue was due to the metallurgy defect on the guide itself where the tensioner would, in time, dent the spot in far enough that it would no longer supply necessary tension to the guide and the chain. Upgraded part had a different metal compound for the contact patch, and I believe the angle of the tensioner piston was also changed. I don’t see how either of these issues would be rectified by more often oil changes, unlike in, say BMW M62TU engine, where the guides were made of a composite plastic and would deteriorate and crumble with long oil change intervals.
Like @ryanjl said, the tensioners are oil fed. There's definitely a relation between oil changes and tensioner functionality. When I swapped my tensioners out, it did NOT hold any tension nor did the piston compress or extrude any further than where I found it. The guide's button was dented in, but not too bad.

Even the updated versions are still susceptible to failure. The newer LR4s are starting to see issues too, so don't be fooled where this ends. LR was working on a 3rd revision, but I don't think it was ever completed or available to the public.

dlimanov

Reaction score
Appreciate the input, gentlemen! The vehicle in question did not work out (selling dealer objected to an independent PPI; a huge red flag in my opinion) and therefore my search for a perfect L3/L4 continues. Thanks again!

MNLR4

Reaction score
I have 119k miles with original, but on start now it sounds like i may have an issue. Unfortunately, I'm off extended warranty and over the settlement milage.

dogfood1

Reaction score
I'm at 140K on my 2011 LR4 with the original equipment. Mechanic says it's starting to make some chatter, so my next move is either dump it in this best/worst car market or drop $5K+...

dlimanov

Reaction score
I'm at 140K on my 2011 LR4 with the original equipment. Mechanic says it's starting to make some chatter, so my next move is either dump it in this best/worst car market or drop $5K+...
what were your oil change intervals, if you don’t mind my asking, and how long had you owned the truck?

dogfood1

Reaction score
what were your oil change intervals, if you don’t mind my asking, and how long had you owned the truck?
I've had it for about 5 years, ~70K. I've done 4-5K oil change intervals pretty regularly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA