Replacement Timing Chain/Tensioner Longevity Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlimanov

Reaction score
Thanks @dogfood1!
Does anyone know where the magical model year of 2013 comes from when it comes to updated timing chain components? Because the same engines in L405s are exhibiting timing chain failures all the way to 2015 model year.
Just trying to figure out if it is worth paying premium for 2013 truck vs pre-2013 if in reality either one will require the repair done anyway. The market‘s bad as is with low inventory and inflated prices.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a TSB applying to 2010 - late 2012 trucks calling for the replacement of timing chain tensioner and levers if a clicking noise is heard. See this document https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10104461-9340.pdf

The newer parts have a hardened steel button at the back of the tensioner levers (where the tensione rod contacts the lever) which is supposed to reduce wear.

In terms of later models failing, I think the underlying (and still unresolved) problem is chain stretch caused by excessively long oil change intervals. To be more specific, the chain itself doesn't really "stretch." Rather, dirty oil results in wear between the pins and bushing on each connecting link and results in the pitch of the chain growing. Then that will result in wear on the cam sprockets. Same reason cyclists have to replace a bike chain every couple thousand miles, and end up having to replace the cassette if they don't keep up on replacing the chain.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the smaller diameter oil orifices are prone to clogging.

Loubigrl

Reaction score
There's been some debate about whether oil changes help, but the general consensus is that the vehicles whose oil changes are kept closer to 6k (instead of Land Rover's recommended 15k) seem to fare better.

The tensioners themselves rely on oil pressure to work properly. Subtle variances in the oil quality can affect their performance. That, and the impact area between the tensioners and the guides presumably works better when oiled.

You are mostly right on the issue and the redesign. Here's a video that explains why the old tensioners fail:

And here is what the redesigned guides look like:

You can see where there is now a steel (?) button in the guide where the tensioner makes contact. The thought is a good, clean thin layer of oil on that contact area can ameliorate the erosive effect over time.
Hi I’m just going thru this with my 2012 RR sport . I’m praying my car will last 5 more years . The dealership is doing my repair. Your post is very helpful especially part 2.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut