Replacing the suspension air pump on a 2009 discovery 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Battle Bus

Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to change a suspension air pump on my Discovery 3 and all the information I have seen says to disconnect the battery. I have also seen some horror stories regarding getting things working properly after a battery has been reconnected. I will be replacing the pump with a like for like unit that I have reconditioned and I expect the operation to be completed in less than an hour.
Is it necessary to disconnect the battery? If so why?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved to the LR3 section.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main reason to disconnect the battery, I would think, is to **** all power to the EAS while you remove its heart. I don't think I've heard horror stories about disconnecting and re-connecting the battery, so I'm not sure where you are getting that from. I've put a few batteries in my LR3 myself and have never had an issue.

The only real issue comes from letting your battery go flat.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember to let your LR3 sleep for about 2-3 minutes before disconnecting battery. Thats when you get all dash lights, error codes etc... if you don't wait for all your onboard computers to shut down before removing negative lead. At least that's what happened to me. I didn't wait and my dashboard looked like a christmas tree, but after driving it around for a couple miles, and turning my truck on and off all the faults worked their way out.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to disconnect the battery.just pull 5 amps and 20 amps fuses responsible for a suspension leveling from the engine bay fuse box.
Use jack stands for sure , don't even try to work underneath without them, but there is no need for a battery cut off.

Trynian

Reaction score
I disconnect my battery all the time with no ill effects other then having to reset the radio clock. Never heard of any issue with that as almost all repair procedures from the manual start with disconnecting the battery.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72