Roof rail question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delta V

Reaction score
Quick question regarding roof rails:

Is the package that Atlantic British Limited (roverparts.com) offers for roof rails (part numbers
LR055273 And LR055254) the short rails or the long rails? I think I've heard both mentioned, but I can't exactly figure out what is what. Is there a major different to functionality? I'm not looking to do any overlanding, just want the ability to put a cargo box on the roof.

Thanks!

I'd post links, but the forum doesn't seem to like that.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Depends on what you're trying to do here. If you're going to get a roof rack, you don't need rails. If you're trying to get rails, crossbars and put a Thule or Yakima roof box or basket, then get roof rails and crossbars. IF you're trying to get rails and crossbars to put cargo boxes (regular old box without crossbar clamps), I would advise against it as it can fall off the rails and damage your panoramic roof.

Here's my 2 cents on this subject, since I was in your exact position a few years ago. Get a full roof rack and be done with it to save on wasted money on rails and crossbars. Otherwise, get the short rails and crossbar, and ultimately get a full rack because it won't be as versatile. Whatever you do, don't get the full rails and expect there's a lot of upsides to it, because there's nothing good about it except for the extra 6 inches of usable rail. The full rails will be the bane of your decisions when trying to upgrade to the full rack.

BeViking

Reaction score
Depends on what you're trying to do here. If you're going to get a roof rack, you don't need rails. If you're trying to get rails, crossbars and put a Thule or Yakima roof box or basket, then get roof rails and crossbars. IF you're trying to get rails and crossbars to put cargo boxes (regular old box without crossbar clamps), I would advise against it as it can fall off the rails and damage your panoramic roof.

Here's my 2 cents on this subject, since I was in your exact position a few years ago. Get a full roof rack and be done with it to save on wasted money on rails and crossbars. Otherwise, get the short rails and crossbar, and ultimately get a full rack because it won't be as versatile. Whatever you do, don't get the full rails and expect there's a lot of upsides to it, because there's nothing good about it except for the extra 6 inches of usable rail. The full rails will be the bane of your decisions when trying to upgrade to the full rack.
So what full rack did you go with?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
So what full rack did you go with?!
At the time, I wanted a Prospeed rack and the ONLY option was to ship from UK. To get accessories would also mean shipping from UK. So, I went with Frontrunner Slimline II. It's a great rack that's fully aluminum. I don't have to worry about rust or accessories since their system is mounted through M8 slots, very universal. I have zero complaints with it, except for rusting hardware. Just replace the original hardware with stainless steel or zinc, they are M6 and M8 bolts, nuts and washers.

Lucky8 is recently (2+ years) a Prospeed distributor. I like it because of the low profile with little wind noise when nothing is mounted and it contours the body lines.

They're about the same price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV