Roof Rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question please...

If later on I will need to install Rooftop tent, would I need those factory roof rails, or it requires something else – are the factory roof rails strong enough to hold it. I mean… the tent itself + 2-3 people in it? + it is not just a vertical load…

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I don't know what the load rating is for the LR roof rails. But keep in mind that those load limits are for a moving vehicle. The way that the load affects the rack while the vehicle is moving is different than while the vehicle is stationary, and the tent will only be occupied while the vehicle is stationary. I wouldn't hesitate to use a tent on the roof rails, especially if it is mounted at the rear. I'd be more wary if I were putting the tent on the factory cross bars.

Finding the right combination of rack and mounting system is a complicated task. If you intend to use the factory roof rails, I suggest you question each manufacturer individually on the matter.

Front Runner, for example, supplies their own short rails, and up front a bracket/foot sits on the roof gasket over the point where the factory long rails bolt on. They have an installation video:
Front Runner Roof Rack Land Rover LR3 LR4 installation vide.mov - YouTube

I think Hannibal uses 6 or 8 feet and no rail.

It would be interesting to ask either Hannibal or Front Runner if they could supply mounts to accommodate the short or long factory roof rails.

Voyager Racks will custom build to your application if they don't have a ready solution. Just email them.

Others have had success using a hybrid approach. There's an example here.

An interesting aside: the example above is on disco web.org, but for some reason whenever I type disco web (without the space) and then submit it, this site replaces disco web with "********" So I had to go to tinyurl.com and make a surrogate address that this site wouldn't censor. :rolleyes:

I hope that helps.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the load rating is for the LR roof rails. But keep in mind that those load limits are for a moving vehicle. The way that the load affects the rack while the vehicle is moving is different than while the vehicle is stationary, and the tent will only be occupied while the vehicle is stationary. I wouldn't hesitate to use a tent on the roof rails, especially if it is mounted at the rear. I'd be more wary if I were putting the tent on the factory cross bars.
The bars are out of question.
But here is where my worries come from: 1. Looking at those mounting spots per OEM rails installation guide, those spots are not that sturdy. 2. I came across the post here where dealer managed to break the roof glass twice installing those rails, and again, based on installation guide pics, I can see it happening. 3. Based on first two and the fact that second half of the tent that is being unfolded, just hangs out there with no support (correct me if I am wrong) I cannot imagine my son jumping in there... and he will. :)

Finding the right combination of rack and mounting system is a complicated task. If you intend to use the factory roof rails, I suggest you question each manufacturer individually on the matter.

Front Runner, for example, supplies their own short rails, and up front a bracket/foot sits on the roof gasket over the point where the factory long rails bolt on. They have an installation video:
Front Runner Roof Rack Land Rover LR3 LR4 installation vide.mov - YouTube

I think Hannibal uses 6 or 8 feet and no rail.

It would be interesting to ask either Hannibal or Front Runner if they could supply mounts to accommodate the short or long factory roof rails.

Voyager Racks will custom build to your application if they don't have a ready solution. Just email them.

Others have had success using a hybrid approach. There's an example here.

An interesting aside: the example above is on disco web.org, but for some reason whenever I type disco web (without the space) and then submit it, this site replaces disco web with "********" So I had to go to tinyurl.com and make a surrogate address that this site wouldn't censor. :rolleyes:

I hope that helps.

Very informative post, CaptainSpalding, thank you very much! I definitely need to do more research before I get those factory rails.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bars are out of question.
But here is where my worries come from: 1. Looking at those mounting spots per OEM rails installation guide, those spots are not that sturdy. 2. I came across the post here where dealer managed to break the roof glass twice installing those rails, and again, based on installation guide pics, I can see it happening. 3. Based on first two and the fact that second half of the tent that is being unfolded, just hangs out there with no support (correct me if I am wrong) I cannot imagine my son jumping in there... and he will. :)

Very informative post, CaptainSpalding, thank you very much! I definitely need to do more research before I get those factory rails.

Not sure what tent you are reviewing but we recently installed the frontrunner track system, rack and Eezi Awn 1600 on a customer's LR4. The tent system has a ladder that acts as the 3rd leg and supports the unfolded weight. We have had no issues with installs, just don't over tighten the track systems. The 1600 is a large, queen sized tent that weighs around 250lbs.

Attachments

• DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 83

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nicely done! Now when I need to get my rails, I will definitely be doing the install on my own.

Rostov, where did you get your bars, dealer or online?

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what tent you are reviewing.. .
Any one. Those are pretty much the same. The ladder should be the third lag, but what if you are parked on the sand lets say? I think you would need some support under ladder...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72