Roof Top Cargo boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am wondering if someone (especially CaptainSpalding) has a link for a good source for something like this:

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-192-roof-rack-aluminum-lockbox.aspx

I am looking for a box like tuffy makes to mount to my roof rack. I will also consider options that I ratched strap up there when needed. I have seen these boxes before, but can't seem to find them? I am NOT looking for a Thule box or the like...

Thanks!

-David

Last edited:

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Okay, I'll give it a whack.

Since you're not averse to ratchet straps, how about a nice Pelican case?

The Pelican 1780 holds about a third more than the box you cited, but can be had for just over half the cost. Get it without foam and it will cost less.

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1780

image1.jpg

(Oh look . . . that rack has poultry flooring . . .)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Captain!

AWESOME! :) I just bought two cases from eBay - free shipping! :) I have some ratchet straps, but I want to make sure I get good ones.

-David

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are some serious boxes! I have some smaller pelican and otter boxes for small items. I've always been impressed with them. I never thought about larger boxes for this type of purpose.

The cheaper alternative I have used in the past is a dry bag from Seal Line. They are 100% waterproof, extreemly durable and weigh very little and are very compact when not filled up. I have some of the larger ones and have put smaller suitcases in them and strapped them to the roof rack before. Everything was great.

I didn't look up the specs on these boxes, but I assume they are fairly heavy.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99