Rotor wear advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to give my brake business to Rovers North since they were nice enough to treat me to a tour of their Vermont HQ when I was there a month ago. I don't see any EBC offering for either LR3 or LR4 on their site, at least not conspicuously labeled that way. Any guidance appreciated. Didn't you also say you went with drilled and slotted last time? I'm going to need a rear brake job in early April.

Well I think I had to call and get them special ordered because I did the 17" spec size change used on the v6 lr3. There are parts that will do the same swap for lr4's. The change only required new caliper 'carriers' but reused the calipers. new rotors of course.

Lucky8 might have decent stuff at reasonable pricing. They often seem to have a mix of parts ranging from super cool to cheap but sufficient.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change both: rooms and pads. Of course include sensors. And make sure your lower control arms are ok as you might need to replace these as well. I bought OEM Brembo rotors and Ferodo pads. Also I used a trusted garage. After 2 years 15k miles So far so good. And know you're physics... this is a 7,500 lbs truck, not a VW. So coast and "plan" your stops.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And know you're physics... this is a 7,500 lbs truck, not a VW. So coast and "plan" your stops.

7,500 lbs! What are your skid plates made of??

To your point about planning stops, how many of you use CommandShift when approaching stoplights or signs or cornering? I use it a fair bit; are there any drawbacks? I don't manually select a lower gear, but I do throw the shifter to the left and let some minor revs slow me down.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...how many of you use CommandShift when approaching stoplights or signs or cornering? I use it a fair bit; are there any drawbacks? I don't manually select a lower gear, but I do throw the shifter to the left and let some minor revs slow me down.
My train of thought always was, "brakes are cheaper than transmissions", and generally don't downshift to reduce speed with normal driving. I don't think it hurts the transmission, but I dunno if I'd do this on a regular basis. The main reason I tap the shifter left for a downshift is when I want some quick acceleration at part throttle, without having to floor the gas.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My train of thought always was, "brakes are cheaper than transmissions", and generally don't downshift to reduce speed with normal driving.

I see the logic in that, but so much about cars can be counterintuitive or at least debatable, which is why I asked. We have seen that in this thread about something as basic as rotors and pads. In other discussions I have seen pros and cons around EAS "use it or lose it" and some transmission discussions saying that low range should be engaged regularly or other comments that suggest under-using certain components can be detrimental. Hence my question.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely worth discussing, especially if someone has useful information that might make us change our habits. Using the transmission to slow a vehicle is always a good idea when there is concern about brake fade (i.e., descending a long/steep grade).

About the low range engagement, I believe that is mentioned in the owner's manual somewhere. I think it's recommend to engage low range at least once per year, and driving forward & back a short distance in low range?

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
Why are some people so cheap? ;) Never heard of that place but I'd want to know the weight. When something is too good to be true, it's often not good or not true ;)

I got my EBC through Rovers North. You want a the most mass you can get for heat dissipation. My guess is the super cheap ones are **** metal or too light.
It's not a matter of cheap. I'm an architect by trade and do my research before any purchase. I've worked on billionaires houses as well as thosr with less cash and I can tell you sometimes you can get stuff from Home Depot that although not a sticker on the butt item does the job. So it's not a question of cheap. I'm not the buy whatever hits the dream fancy and then end up with 3 sets of wheels etc. LOL

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a matter of cheap. I'm an architect by trade and do my research before any purchase. I've worked on billionaires houses as well as thosr with less cash and I can tell you sometimes you can get stuff from Home Depot that although not a sticker on the butt item does the job. So it's not a question of cheap. I'm not the buy whatever hits the dream fancy and then end up with 3 sets of wheels etc. LOL

No offense meant, just picking a little ;) In this situation, it was hard enough sourcing the right size and parts for the 17" conversion and they didn't seem like much but then again, I'm used to seeing sets for the Audi or BMW and those are often "!"

However, I'm not sure what's wrong with having multiple sets of wheels ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV