Running boards / side steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

starrover

Reaction score
Hi - Absolutely loving my almost 4 week old 2011 HSE in Rimini Red. So far, no real issues at all - radio/nav system went silent 2 times, but restarted upon turning on/off the ignition.

Wanted to know if anyone has installed OEM or aftermarket running boards. If so, any recommendations? Should I let the dealer do it? My kids (and I) could really use the help getting into the car, plus I think it will really enhance the looks.

If you've done this or know what for and where I should be looking I would appreciate the info.

Thanks!

p.s. Did the LR Experience Driving school the other day in Carmel Valley - it was so freakin awesome....made me love and respect the LR4 even more.

starrover

Reaction score
Same site I was looking at - I am also interested in hearing if anyone has used the Romik side steps.

BTW - my dealer gave me the same quote...too high in my opinion for the actual side steps. I would pay the labor. Did you happen to ask if they would install aftermarket?

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starrove,

I am re-posting this message in your thread because it might help.

I have been driving a 2010 LR4 (US Spec 5.0L gasoline HSE) for about a year. Long story, but I work in Africa and drive in some very harsh, off-road, desert conditions.

I highly recommend after-market accessories from Rover Racks LLC. See their website at http://www.roverracks.com/ . I have their frame sliders and roof rack + ladder on my LR4; I can post pictures if you would like (I sent the company some pictures and they have used them on their webpages as well). So far, excellent work and well worth the cost and efforts.

Also, check out their frame sliders page at http://www.roverracks.com/lr3_lr4_rock_sliders.htm . I would recommend those over the low-quality but pricey running boards/side steps.

Rover Racks builds a much heavier and solid construction than the Land Rover accessories; in fact, it may be cheaper to buy the Rover Rack gear than the dealer equipment. Regardless, I think the Rover Rack frame slider with tubular steel bar in powder coat looks great and is much more functional than the LR running boards. For example...I even jacked (Hi-Lift Xtreme) the truck straight off the tubular steel to change a tire...holy "off-road tough" batman!

Hope this helps-

Cheers-
Land Rover Joe

starrover

Reaction score
Thanks for the good info! I will definitely check it out. Although, it might be overkill for me as I really only need them as an actual step up into the car. Unfortunately, I will likely never do any extreme off-roading. Keep your posts coming, especially any other after market vendor details!

Rover11

Reaction score
What side steps did you end of purchasing? And were they practical for adults?
My daughter just purchased a new 2011 LR4 and I wanted to get her a gift. She is short and I think would like the added assistance of a step. I asked the dealer and he told me the way the height is set up adults end up having to step over it instead of on it . Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

starrover

Reaction score
Rover11 - I haven't purchased side steps or running boards yet. I have a local aftermarket shop place looking into viable options...but no luck yet. My bet is that I will end up going with the LR OEM running boards. They just aren't very good looking in my opion.

The ROMIKs I was looking at got multiple reviews stating that they don't really hold weight well. That's not very useful considering that I want to use them as a step.

Sorry I couldn't offer more help, but I really don't think there are very many options out there right now for the LR4.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OEM running boards and am extremely happy with them. I had the dealer install them. Very useful and helpful with getting in and out of the LR4. They fit perfectly!

Rover11

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I will suggest the oem running boards to her. Hopefully she can get to see them on a truck and deceide if she likes them for function and appearance.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What side steps did you end of purchasing? And were they practical for adults?
My daughter just purchased a new 2011 LR4 and I wanted to get her a gift. She is short and I think would like the added assistance of a step. I asked the dealer and he told me the way the height is set up adults end up having to step over it instead of on it . Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey,
I have ordered the LR4 OEM ones. Should be delivered this week. I have an appointment with the service department to get them installed. Can't believe they want 2.5 hrs for running board install and 2.5 hrs for roof rails!
Just don't understand why it takes them that long.

Anyway, I will post after the install is done later in the week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4