Should I keep my 2018 LR Discovery Diesel long term?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bock

Reaction score
@Bock - here are my 2 cents, for what its worth.
1- if you have an INGENIUM motor in it, which you probably do ( 2 turbos cascaded ) that may be problematic in long run. Is prone to overheating and may not last as long as you think, or wish. However, that is not a rule.
Where can I find out? Its a lease and all I find in the packet is lease language blah blah blah .......
2- if you decide to keep it, do a dilution test for the oil - a service / dealership and talk to a tech that is worth its weight in salt - should be able to do that for you quick. If you have a high dilution, there may be problems. That sounds doable- will do.
3 - if you keep it, change the oil every 5-6000 miles. Yes, is not a typo. Oil is cheap, engines are expensive Yes I have been doing that so far :)
4 - "add blue" or urea - keep the tank ALLWAYS at full, or max. Top it up as much as you can. Why, just curious- its hard to do. my old car I could do right next to fuel tank- this is under hood ): Thank You !!!
5 - the DEF part is the one that will more than likely give you issues. Diesel engines are extremely good. Tree huggers have neutered them and killed them for no reason with urea... but that is another discussion for another time. Sensors in the tank and maybe exhaust may give up in 4-5 year ( then again, they may not)
For more details ... and I am not sure what model do you have, what is the engine ? 2 or 3 liters ? V6 3 L

Anyways, doing the math, with what you may lose on the trade, and what you will have to put down for a new car, you may come almost even with what you may have to pay for a catastrophic failure - the engine.
Personally, I would buy an extended warranty from JLR ( not a 3rd party through JLR ). I would highly recommend that BEFORE it gets out of warranty, . In my case it saved me a LOT of money on the 2016 Td6 RRS.
Hope this helps a bit.
Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do with the vehicle.
@Bock - here are my 2 cents, for what its worth.
1- if you have an INGENIUM motor in it, which you probably do ( 2 turbos cascaded ) that may be problematic in long run. Is prone to overheating and may not last as long as you think, or wish. However, that is not a rule.
2- if you decide to keep it, do a dilution test for the oil - a service / dealership and talk to a tech that is worth its weight in salt - should be able to do that for you quick. If you have a high dilution, there may be problems.
3 - if you keep it, change the oil every 5-6000 miles. Yes, is not a typo. Oil is cheap, engines are expensive
4 - "add blue" or urea - keep the tank ALLWAYS at full, or max. Top it up as much as you can.
5 - the DEF part is the one that will more than likely give you issues. Diesel engines are extremely good. Tree huggers have neutered them and killed them for no reason with urea... but that is another discussion for another time. Sensors in the tank and maybe exhaust may give up in 4-5 year ( then again, they may not)
For more details ... and I am not sure what model do you have, what is the engine ? 2 or 3 liters ?

Anyways, doing the math, with what you may lose on the trade, and what you will have to put down for a new car, you may come almost even with what you may have to pay for a catastrophic failure - the engine.
Personally, I would buy an extended warranty from JLR ( not a 3rd party through JLR ). I would highly recommend that BEFORE it gets out of warranty, . In my case it saved me a LOT of money on the 2016 Td6 RRS.
Hope this helps a bit.
Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do with the vehicle.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bock, this a water or oil cooled "cascaded turbos"? Either way if driven short stop and go around town a shopping mall adventure vehicle i'd add a shutdown timed delay turbo cooling circulation system if oil cooled avoiding dry spun bearings along with coked up bearing being cooled down with lubed bearings now below coke temps. Water a different story not what I know about.

You don't see big rig diesels having issues unless tjhey are modern units with computers up the **** causing several limp modes off the highways at 30% Hp if your lucky while pulling 68,000 pounds of tanker behind ya. Big tow bill plus repair to be repeated a month later.
Truckers screaming with older ones getting out of trucking and retiring, done with this BS.
Your not alone, big rigs are now a POS also thanks to the EPA ****'s and the idiots we voted in that are clueless but pass bills like by 2025 (example) all gas engines and diesels must meet 48 mpg. Yeah right the ***** (pun) suffers. Pre 70's no smog roasting tyres at will group of friends......~~=o&o>......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA