Should we get a used Discovery or new Xterra?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We need a third vehicle that can haul building supplies on weekends, take the garbage to the dump and take the family to a nearby drive-on beach. With a budget of $20K to $25K in mind, even the cheapest used LR3 is too expensive. So that brings me here to the Discovery forum. I would prefer a used Discovery but my wife prefers a brand new Nissan Xterra with its reliabilty, powerful engine and warranty. Does the Discovery have better off-road ability than the Xterra? I'm looking for reasons to promote the Discovery. Thanks in advance.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Personal opinion, the Discovery is much better. Xterra the last time I checked has IFS which is never good off road.

But if you want something that you don't ever have to worry about but everyone else owns, go with the xterra.

If you want comfort, you want off road ability stock, if you want something that any mechanic can work on, but a D1 (i.e. 96 - 99.5) if you want all this, but will require either a good mechanic or a dealer, then go with the newer D2 (99.5 - 04).

I can't say you will get reliability with a rover, because it really depends on how it has been taken care of up till you buy it.

Powerful, sorry you can't beat a supercharged xterra, but if you drive them both comfort wise the rover will win.

Again the above is just my opinion.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posting this on a LR forum you can almost guess what people will say.

I cant say much for Xterras other that they look like plastic. Why spend the money if its going to be a "work/fun truck"?

Save your money for a rainy day and get a D1. If you are handy you can do alot of work on it yourself. Full time 4wd and comes with a locking center locking diff which could come in handy.

I bought my D1 for around 5k (used of course) and have had a few things go wrong but nothing I couldnt do myself without abit of help from everyone on this forum. I wouldnt trade my truck. Well except for a D90 but thats a different story.

Last edited:

fire1427

Reaction score
A D2 landrover certified could definately be had in your price range ...
I picked up a used 03 with 32k miles with warranty till 50k.. for under your lower price range ...

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say What ?

Even the suggestion of another vehicle on a Land rover site takes balls.

You probably need to go to the Xterra forums for positive feedback on these vehicles. They do have a whimpy ifs for serious offroading. Joey is completely correct about the independent front suspension for serious offroading, listen to him.

For $20,000.00 to $25,000.00 and hauling building supplies hauling the trash, Cruising on the beach, what you need is a used full sized 4x4 diesel truck with a crew cab . land rovers aren’t trash trucks, or construction trucks.. You would have to get a trailer to make the Land rover work for all these needs.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Chongo, did you miss the part about me coming to this forum looking for reasons to get a Discovery and NOT the Xterra? I have no interest in a truck. I'm fine with using an SUV for more than a people hauler. We presently use our Audi Q7 to haul trash to the dump, pickup wood at Home Depot, and even go to the beach with our kids and wet dog. We want to keep the Q7 on the road where it belongs and get a better offroad vehicle.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chongo, thanks for the pm.

I can't reply directly to you. Thanks for the additional info as well. The last engine I rebuilt was the 350 in my '75 Impala. (College car) We have two reliable vehicles so I won't mind working on the Discovery if we get one. As for building supplies, I'm talking about light items such as wood & insulation to finish a basement.

I know what you mean about investing lots of money into a dog. Our yellow lab had serious stomach issues and hip issues but is doing well now.

J

JoFizz

After much looking around I just purchased a 2004 Discovery and I love it. It was a week off a 3 yr lease and I bought it from a dealer. It is in great shape, really clean and had 32K miles, came certified and with a 6/75 warranty. I plan on keeping it for a while so I decided to upgrade the warranty. I’m going to do my own maintenance. I know there are advantages and disadvantages in buying from a dealer but if its needs a major service it’s covered and they give me a loaner and that was important because I can't be without a car. It rides great on the street and highways and I know I can take it camping with no problem, I'd go with a Discovery.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635