Should we listen to reliability reviews b4 buying LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amyhailjer

Reaction score
My wife and I love the LR4. All reviews say reliability is terrible. Can anyone help us in figuring out if this is a good buy?

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magazine and online reviews? None of them I read says reliability of LR4 is terrible. They only indicate the uncertainity of reliability of LR4 based on the reliability history of LR3 or other earlier models.

Since Land Rover significantly updated LR4 with all new electric system architecture, new interior and engine, reliability could be better or worse.

So far, known issue with LR4 has been minimal I believe. most common issue was the smart key not recognized but it was addressed with new version of key which all new LR4s should come with by now. Mine came with new version (purchased 3 weeks ago).

Another issue is the rear windows one touch up and down not working properly but the issue has been already addressed in another TSB (technical service bulletin) and should be an easy fix. I have this issue too.

I owned a Lexus for past 3 years and natually looked at 2010 Lexus GX460 which is an all new model. But I felt that this is much better SUV and I'm so glad I made the right choice.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How could anyone provide a meaningful report on reliability of the LR4 when it just hit the market?

I've owned an LR3 HSE since new in 2005. Yes, there were a few first-model-year issues, but all were addressed under warranty, and now 5 years and 62K miles later, there have been very few issues and I plan on holding onto this one for a while.

The LR4 is a fine vehicle, and you should continue to enjoy it without anxiety about reliability.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't read anything reliability wise on the LR4. Logically they should have improved upon any problems with the LR3. I bet in the long run the LR4 will prove to be better

LR3_fan

Reaction score
Amyhailjer, If you are new to LR it is a difficult decision to make. I was there myself. You have to decide what are your priorities:ride comfort / space/7passenger/ luxury/off road/ gas consumption/ handling/looks...etc. LR has had a history of not being the most reliable, The LR3 track record is not the best. Having said all that: I own an LR3, I fell in love after my first test drive. I have no regrets -would probably buy the LR4 in a couple of years used. If you are concerned with repair cost, you can look into extended warranty - it is cheaper with lower mileage on the car. But you have to expect some hicups along the way from the first model year. I have yet to find a better ride than my LR3 even considering shop visits.

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 14k on my LR4 since Sept.. My only real complaint is the small capacity gas tank. You can read my early threads/post and see that I have had no real issues at all. i love driving it. And have made new friends at the pump.-)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on the LR4, but our 2008 LR3 has been flawless over 28K miles. Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Only issue was the miserable Goodyear Wrangler tires that we replaced with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs at 5k miles.

acpryor

Reaction score
Not sure what you decided to do, but I'd strongly recommend against buying an LR4... I've had numerous, unfixable repairs (involving nav screen not working, audio not working for radio, ipod, etc...) and the issues still loom. Have had the car for under a year and been to the dealership 6 times trying to get it resolved. The dealership has been great with the exception that they can't fix it, and LR Intl won't let them swap out the nav/radio. Shameful. Never would I buy one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA