side step tube review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

toddjb123

so, just spent my first weekend really using the LR3 as a utility vehicle (not just a commuter). Went to the river a couple times, threw the kayak on the roof, lots of gear in and out of the back, got some mud on 'er, the whole deal.

So...

Those are the most WORTHLESS side step tubes I have every seen or used! These things are *purely* for aesthetics. There is unfortunately absolutely zero useabiliy.

I'm guessing this was intended to protect the ground clearance of the truck for off-roading, however, you can't step on these tubes. Doesn't work. They are mounted so close to the body that your foot slips right off. There are no steps (flat areas). If you're lucky maybe you can get a toe hold on them, but you won't find yourself relying on them to get in and out of the truck or gain roof access.

What a waste. I do like the look of them, but a big use for me is strapping boats on the roof. When I get off the river my feet are usually dirty and I don't want to step on the door jams or leather seats, so, the side steps have been perfect on other vehicles. Good luck with these. The best you can do is step up on your tires. This won't help when you are strapping a kayak on the roof but is at least helpful when you wash it.

So, if you like the look of 'em, buy them. If you want side steps that actually let you step on the sides...forget it. That's not what these were designed for! Get the running boards instead.

Any suggestions? Is there some kind of high quality grit tape I can apply to the tops of the tubes for a little more traction?

D

disco1

I haven't seen the side steps you referring to, however, you can get non slip grit type strips that stick on from 3M (I have them on mine). You can get them in various lengths and widths.
My suggestion would be to sell your side steps and get a set of custom ones made. You will need to find an engineer prepared to make them.
FWIW, mine are made with polished stainless steel and are hollow. I carry water in one and engine oil in the other. They are especially beneficial in keeping rocks away from the door sill.

Attachments

• 4.6L Stainless steel Nurfbar.jpg
    4.6L Stainless steel Nurfbar.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 123
T

toddjb123

Disco1 - yeah, those look nice. Doesn't look like you sacrafice any ground clearance, and they stick out the sides so you have a nice step. For now, I'll look for the tape.

C

Colt45

After my previous vehicle had been beat up pretty bad from swinging doors in parking lots, I bought the door mounted trim pieces for my new LR3 and was considering the side tubes too. I held back on purchasing them because I was concerned about losing ground clearance. (I hadn't actually seen them installed on a vehicle, so I wanted to wait till I had done so.) But, with your report I think I'll skip this option. - - - Thanks for the info

T

toddjb123

Colt - I posted a picture earlier of the bars. They look nice and don't take up much ground clearance, but no, they're not very functional!
I do have the door mounted trims, and I like those...

5cln6f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM