Sill Tread plates, side rails (steel), roof bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put the sill tread plates in. Do you like it? worth it?

Also wondering the same thing about the side trim with stainless steel.

I also need to get the roof rails but don't know if I want the short ones or the extended length ones. What are the differences functionally? The most use I will see on the roof is a ski rack and luggage rack for long trips.

Thanks guys!

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garg,

I have been driving a 2010 LR4 (US Spec 5.0L gasoline HSE) for about a year. Long story, but I work in Africa and drive in some very harsh, off-road, desert conditions.

I have the sill tread plates. They are a bit pricey (like all Land Rover accessories), but I am glad I did the job and would say they were worth it since they help keep the sills from getting all bumped up. They also clean up and sharpen the interior look a bit.

I have also added the exterior side trim with the stainless steel insets. I like the look and think the added protection is worth it where I now live. But it would also be worth adding if only to avoid parking lot idiots bumping your doors! In addition, I think the insets give a nice touch to the trim.

In terms of the roof stuff, I highly recommend after-market accessories from some friends at Rover Racks LLC. See their website at http://www.roverracks.com/ (I just responded to a posting about frame sliders and would recommend those for folks who need them). I have Rover Racks frame sliders as well as the roof rack + ladder on my LR4; I can post pictures if you would like to include the side trim with insets. Perhaps these roof racks are a bit too bulky for your tastes. I feel, however, that Land Rover has done a relatively poor job with its roof rack accessories and the after-market folks are light years beyond what the dealership has available.

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garg,

I have been driving a 2010 LR4 (US Spec 5.0L gasoline HSE) for about a year. Long story, but I work in Africa and drive in some very harsh, off-road, desert conditions.

I have the sill tread plates. They are a bit pricey (like all Land Rover accessories), but I am glad I did the job and would say they were worth it since they help keep the sills from getting all bumped up. They also clean up and sharpen the interior look a bit.

I have also added the exterior side trim with the stainless steel insets. I like the look and think the added protection is worth it where I now live. But it would also be worth adding if only to avoid parking lot idiots bumping your doors! In addition, I think the insets give a nice touch to the trim.

In terms of the roof stuff, I highly recommend after-market accessories from some friends at Rover Racks LLC. See their website at http://www.roverracks.com/ (I just responded to a posting about frame sliders and would recommend those for folks who need them). I have Rover Racks frame sliders as well as the roof rack + ladder on my LR4; I can post pictures if you would like to include the side trim with insets. Perhaps these roof racks are a bit too bulky for your tastes. I feel, however, that Land Rover has done a relatively poor job with its roof rack accessories and the after-market folks are light years beyond what the dealership has available.

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

Thanks for your reply Joe!
Would love to see actual pictures of sill plates and the exterior trim. Can't find any on the web of an actual car.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garg,

Here are some pictures on a slideshow I posted to my Flickr site. I had to do some cleaning today to shoot the pix. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59137225@N07/show/

These pictures span receipt of the truck, so that you can see it without modifications, and then several different photos at different times/angles/places to get the overall impression and finally the detail photos which should help you see what the trim looks like on a more off-road LR4 variant. Comments are in the "Show Info" tab. FYI: I am in the desert in Africa so the lighting is quite a bit different than in the states, all driving is “off road” (the roads are more off road than the pistes), and corrosion is a big concern.

If you want something just to protect the sills and running boards, check out a relatively new product called “paint protection film.” Here is the website for one manufacturer (XPEL) who offers DYI kits to apply film to protect door sills, rocker panels, and even truck bed liners:
http://www.xpel.com/diy_paint_protection/ . But this protection won’t look as snazzy as the stainless steel trim, and as these films are relatively new to the market…the jury is still out on how effective they are at protecting anything (they make some pretty bold claims).

I hope this helps. Short answer to your question: I think the trim is worth it.

Chees,
Land Rover Joe.

Ghtylo

Reaction score
Iadded the stainless sills, stainless bu,per guard, mud flaps and side protection. I think all worth it.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garg,

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe
Hi Land Rover Joe,

I apologize for just jumping into this discussion, but I have been thinking of getting the stainless steel sill tread plates, as well as a couple other accessories. Thanks so much for your great explanation and I really loved seeing the pics of your LR4 in Africa. Wow! You really must use it for what it was intended. Nice to see it's still going strong after a year. I have the same color scheme on my 2011 LR4.

Thanks so much!

Regards, David.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garg,

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe
Hi Land Rover Joe,

I apologize for just jumping into this discussion, but I have been thinking of getting the stainless steel sill tread plates, as well as a couple other accessories. Thanks so much for your great explanation and I really loved seeing the pics of your LR4 in Africa. Wow! You really must use it for what it was intended. Nice to see it's still going strong after a year. I have the same color scheme on my 2011 LR4.

Thanks so much!

Regards, David.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garg,

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe
Hi Land Rover Joe,

Thanks so much!

Regards, David.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garg,

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe
Hi Land Rover Joe,

Thanks so much!

Regards, David.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garg,

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe
Hi Land Rover Joe,

Thanks so much!

Regards, David.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635