Sky is falling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not really the sky however looked up and the headliner is undun between sun roof and drverside window and back a foot or so. What type of adhesive and how much trouble to get to it? Suggestion welcomed please. I'd like to get to it before it gets worse.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought small clear headliner screws at Pepboys that work very well.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have look at them. Clear headliner screws I mean. I wonder what's behind the material. Is it a sound deadning fiber? The other wonder is does one pepper the area with these screws or make an ornamental pattern? There is a pepboys in kalamazoo I'll have to go and inquire. Thanks Joey.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd liken it to a dense styrofoam.
I pulled down some of my liner, shop vacuumed off as much of the dried ,flakey, nightmare as I could w/brush attachment.

followed instructions perfectly on can of contact spray, reattached carefully, within a week, another spot was sagging.

It's like, once it starts, there's no stopping it.

Next step - pull down material, clean obsessively, leave the foam exposed, (heard that looks good), or maybe put glow in the dark stars or the like on it.

luck,greg

INGOT

Reaction score
I used a glue stick, you know the one that looks like a large lip stick. that was about 8 months ago and it is still holding.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too cold in my garage at present time so I'm not going to attempted it at present time. In a quandery as to the clear screws. Will they leave a blemish mark if removed later? I assume so. If so I'd rather pull the whole thing down and make it look like the cash cab or put up a disco ball even though I despise disco to the point I call my discovery a discovery haha ha.

Reaction score
Let me know what i can do to help with your Headliner Questions!

I can teach you how to install your Headliner Material on your Headliner Board for the best results!

Just let me know how i can Help in any Way,Bill

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay Bill: my headliner between driver window and sunroof is loose about a foot long and 8 inches wide. I just wonder if I take it off at the door side if it will peel off or if I need to use heat. Secondly what type of adhesive would work best. It's only going to get worse because I drive with the window down and of course it's flapping.

Reaction score
Using Spray Adhesive on a Existing Original Headliner Where as the Foam Backing is (disintegrated) falling apart will only Bleed through to the Exposed side in which you see from the Interior of your Vehicle.

In absence of the Foam Backing the Cloth is a thickness of a piece of paper about a 1/16th of a inch thick but pourse like a sponge!

The only way to Fix your problem is to Remove the Headliner Board, Remove the Old Headliner Material and Foam Backing and Install New Material in which the New Foam Backing is already laminated to the Cloth from the Manufacture.

Anything Short of a Full Replacement is just another Temporary Fix !

Temporary Fixes that don't work

1) Hot Glue
2) Spraying Adhesive on the back side of the Cloth of the old headliner were the foam backing is disintegrated
3) Steamers
4) Thumb Tacks (Temporary)
5) Injecting Adhesive or Glue with a syringe or needles
6) Removing the cloth, washing and drying it then reinstalling it
7) Yard Sticks, Coat Hangers, Fishing Hooks
8) Cutting the Cloth Headliner Material out thinking it will stop the flapping, Now all the Old Foam Backing is flying around inside the vehicle, now you have to wear a Ball Cap and a Rain Coat to keep the Foam Backing off your clothing and Interior and your Hair.
9) Heat Guns
10) Using a Paint Roller to Apply a Bonding Agent to Force it through the cloth to the headliner Board.

or

1) Replace the Headliner Material with New Material and Adhesive for as little as $150.

If you add all your Time and Efforts trying Temporary Fixes you could of had this done correctly within the same period of time and moved on to your next project.

Let me know how i can help in any way. Bill

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill: are you saying the headliner material, foam, and backing be replaced? Or is the foam the backing? As little as 150 dollars. What's the most it would cost? Maybe it's time to remove it and paste glow in the dark stars or egg cartons to give it better acoustics. Or maybe put in a suspended ceiling ( just kidding). Honestly what would it cost to totally replace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM