Slipping out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drmoss_ca

Reaction score
My 2006 LR3 automatic (sadly no manual here in Canada) has started slipping out of gear. Usually I take my foot off the gas to slow down at a turn, and on pressing again it revs the engine but it isn't in gear. If I take my foot off again and press again everything is OK. I never had the bad 1st/2nd gear jerking, but I think I have heard of something similar to this - a lag on trying to accelerate. Is this a known/frequent issue. I am 160km from the dealer so don't intend to rush in if there is no hurry.

Chris

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. With the lag that I know of and experience, the engine doesn't rev. There's just nothing at all for a second or two. Sounds like a different problem from the 'norm'

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I think I'd like more detail. Does it really slip out of gear like it revs up, goes nowhere and then slams into a gear and takes off much like my old Bronco II did because it was low on ATF? ...or does it just sort of rev up and loligag?

drstan

Reaction score
I have been having a similar sounding problem with my 06 LR3. It happens when a slow down at a turn also. It seems to be searching for a gear and the tach goes up almost like the transmission is slipping. It doesn't slam into a gear or anything it just seems to rev up a bit and then off you go. I'm not sure what is going on and it does not do it every time I am turning. If anyone has information it would be appreciated.

drmoss_ca

Reaction score
Houm_WA: yes, it revs up just as if it was in neutral, so when I hear this I lift my foot. Perhaps if I kept it pressed it would slam into gear with a **** given the high revs.

Chris

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may've experienced this...but it's been a really long time. In fact the re-flashing of the tranny software may've cured this. It's so tough now with these ultra-hightech transmissions and other components. It just seemed strange but not anything to fuss about when it happened before. I sort of just figured the LR3 knew what it was doing.

Are you the original owner? Do you know if the transmission software was ever upgraded?

drmoss_ca

Reaction score
It did it again, twice, this morning. I kept my foot on the gas to see if it would go back into gear by itself and it did - there would have been a **** if I had revved hard. Spoke to the dealer and they say there is a cable that bends and fatigues under the shifter that often causes this. So I cancelled the office on Monday and will take her down.

Chris

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....just curious, do you use your parking brake much?

If "yes," do you apply it after putting the vehicle in park?

drmoss_ca

Reaction score
Yes, I am the original owner, and I have not been told that the transmission firmware has been upgraded. I rarely use the parking brake, but when I do it is applied after the vehicle is in Park. I actually found a way to get it down there this morning and had a ride back. It won't get looked at till Monday, but a second service guy indicated this would be a worn cable under the shifter.

Chris

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris,
The reason I asked is because the "proper" way to park the LR3 involves applying the parking break first, shifting into Nuetral, taking your foot off the brake and then back on; and finally putting the transmission into Park. This puts the stress on the parking break instead of the transmission.

...ever noticed the shifter being difficult to put into gear? Like needing some force to get from P to D? This may have contributed to the worn cable under shifter situation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge