Snorkel choice LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghostdog

Reaction score
I want to install a snorkel to make sure going through water whilst off roading doesnt cost me the engine at some point.

seems like a lot of Land Rover owners are installing this: https://lucky8llc.com/products/land...ntake-05-09-discovery-3-tf1040-terrafirma-new

With this one being the “original” snorkel: https://www.roverparts.com/exterior-accessories/kits/SS385HF/

I am leaning a lot towards the Safari one, the last link as that is the only one in the market that connects directly to the filter housing under the hood - but i mostly see the Terrafirma being used and recommended. (May be because its cheaper, and looks a bit cleaner)

Do you have any pros or cons for either?

Has anyone had both?

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the terrfirma style snorkle and had bought it on ebay from some no name vendor i think i only paid $200.
Downside as you meantioned you have to do a little water ingress mitigation. i used expanding polyurethane spray and just filled the fender area cavity around the built in air duct to limit the water that can get in but i wouldnt ford it through a river with water that actually goes to the snorkle height. Some water will likely go into the intake unless you directly duct it to the intake box.

I want to install a snorkel to make sure going through water whilst off roading doesnt cost me the engine at some point.

seems like a lot of Land Rover owners are installing this: https://lucky8llc.com/products/land...ntake-05-09-discovery-3-tf1040-terrafirma-new

With this one being the “original” snorkel: https://www.roverparts.com/exterior-accessories/kits/SS385HF/

I am leaning a lot towards the Safari one, the last link as that is the only one in the market that connects directly to the filter housing under the hood - but i mostly see the Terrafirma being used and recommended. (May be because its cheaper, and looks a bit cleaner)

Do you have any pros or cons for either?

Has anyone had both?

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The snorkel sold by Roverparts & marketed by ARB is the Safari. Check out their Aussie website:-
safari4X4.com.au Designed and made in Australia for many decades.
I had a Safari on my 1995 D1 300TDi for 20 years & there was no degrading of the materials at all over that time - it still looked as good as new when I sold that vehicle to buy my current LR4 TDV6.
It is the only snorkel that does not permit water ingress into the airbox as long as it's installed correctly.
No need to use a foam sealant to ensure a watertight fit.
The latest Safari model actually increases airflow by a good amount at highway speeds. Fuel economy
cruising also will improve. My air filter elements lasted longer too as the air enters higher & above much
of the dust on rough bush tracks or deserts.
The snorkel sold here by LR dealers leaks water & looks crap! Nobody here buys the OEM snorkel -Safari
is virtually the only brand seen on D1's through to D4's. I haven't seen a snorkel on a D5 here - nobody
offroads them here.

Ghostdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I am still a bit unsure if the Terrafirma snorkel is good enough, as it is almost a water tight solution with a pretty snug fit outside, and under the hood.
Also hopefully I wont wade that deep, this is more to protect against splashing.

Has anyone had the Terrafima snorkel installed, and gone through water?

Reaction score
Gentlemen, the advantage of a Snorkel is to look cool. We have all seen those vids of guys downunder driving in 3-4 feet of water! The sole purpose of the snorkel is to raise the air intake above the dust. To completely seal and waterproof an engine takes many hours and specific knowledge on all the breather vents and places water can get into. If you love your LR, don't take it SCUBA Diving. If looking cool is your goal, by all means bolt one on.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, used mainly for air flow.

ggrupea

Reaction score
Hi, I've installed the terrafirma snorkel some month ago on my LR Disco 3. I choose it after a lot of conversations, youtube videos, and pages visitis. Why is take this? those are the reasons:

1. I have the original roof rack, and this have the original design who looks great with the roof rack lines.
2. I didn't want to make a lot of holes on the car. Safari need a lot of them (I suffered that with my disco 1 and don't want to make it again).
3. Do I really need this? In my case I really don't think I will need this snorkel. I use the disco only for overland trips, but nothing extreme. Just need it to enharce air intake.
4. What I´m looking for. Nice view, functionallity, quality (always)?

Hope this can help you

grimmecm

Reaction score
Gentlemen, the advantage of a Snorkel is to look cool. We have all seen those vids of guys downunder driving in 3-4 feet of water! The sole purpose of the snorkel is to raise the air intake above the dust. To completely seal and waterproof an engine takes many hours and specific knowledge on all the breather vents and places water can get into. If you love your LR, don't take it SCUBA Diving. If looking cool is your goal, by all means bolt one on.
Agreed. Going without is the better option for almost everyone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA