Snow and ice = lo or hi range???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quoted from a thread on Land Rovers Only about Snow driving:

"High range 1st or 2nd or low range. This will depend on the situation."

I think that post is fairly valid, from the recent snow driving I did in 20"+, High range and Grass/Gravel/Snow did AMAZING...even on stock GoodForOneYears

Last edited:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, personally have never needed or considered low range for snow or ice. I cant even imagine the situation were I would. YMMV

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rarely if ever do you use low range in either snow or ice.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with this advice at all.

...but let me qualify it. For traction, you don't need low range, and that perhaps is what the above respondents mean. For overall control of the vehicle and being able to maximize engine braking Lo-range is helpful. Where I drive (WA and OR) there are tons of hills. I would not want to be going down a snowy hill in high range...not even in 1st gear.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really two different features (snow/ice setting on the terrain response, and low/hi transfer range selection).

You would make the decision to use each of them independently. So, if driving in snow/ice then you use that selection on the TR, if offroading on hilly terrain you use low range. If offroading in snow/ice conditions then you may be using both, as Houm points out.

In general, for driving on-road in snow, I see no reason to use low range. You want a higher gear when launching from a dead stop in snow to prevent wheel spin. The Terrain Response snow/ice setting handles this well by delaying throttle response and adjust shiftpoints, and reducing intervention from the traction control system.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...try going down a steep hill in snow in high-range. Engine braking is your friend in that situation and there simply isn't enough in High Range. I also turn off HDC because its use of the brakes induces spins. The hills in and around Seattle are quite steep...so again, the reason for Lo-range on-road is to maintain control going downhill and to use engine braking to slow down the vehicle without using the brakes.

It's also worth noting that if you know your route well, you may be in high range 95% of the time, but if you're approaching a steep hill you can slap it into 4-Lo at the top of the hill and idle on down.

Does that make more sense?

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup it does, it really depends on your particular driving conditions.

At least we finally have some snow this year to play in. I recently installed new tires and having some fun while testing the limits of their ability in a controlled situation (in an isolated area and losing traction on purpose) so I can avoid exceeding those limits while out driving on snow covered roads.

Last edited:

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find open lot. Special programs off. Dsc off. High range. Turn wheel. Floor it. Enjoy calorie-free doughnuts.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Hi range and GGS terrain response for most driving conditions in snow. However, Houm is correct that low range can be useful for slippery descents. So also is pushing the hill descent button going down. While this is braking, the anti-locks do a good job of maintaining traction and keeping you going down under control in a straight line. Believe me, I know. I have a 14% grade descent from my house on the east bench of the Wasatch Range and drive in alot of snow on that route every winter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635