Snow chains recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YoavDana Raz

Reaction score
Hi all
I’m looking for recommendations for good but not so expansive snow chains.
Any advice?
Thanks Yoav

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chains are a pain IMO, you would be better served by studless ice/snow tires. Chains require you to stop on the side of the road to install them, usually when the conditions are poor, putting you in harms way. Last place I want to be is between my car and passing traffic when the roads are slippery. You also need to keep your speeds down while running the chains, so changes in road conditions make it hard to keep up with traffic flow.

If switching tires between ice/snow tires isn't in the cards, there are several options for 4-season tire that are snow rated (3-peak mountain symbol). I've been running the Nokian WRG3 since we purchased the LR4 in 2017, and they've done great in the snow. The Falken WildPeak and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires have more of an all-terrain tread than the Nokian, and are also snow rated.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Most tires are marked with m+s for mud and snow rated tires. The LR4 is full time 4x4 and in California we have R1-R3 snow conditions. Chains are required for all vehicles in R3 conditions. 4x4 with snow rated tires are ok for R1 and R2 conditions. If you're truly concerned, get snow tires or 3mpsf tires. They are rated specifically for the snow.

I have bfg ko2s, which satisfies snow conditions, normal driving and off road. There are other AT tires with all around benefits.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Oregon the requirement is chains or traction devices, and 3pmsf rated tires meet the traction device requirement. I'm not aware of a requirement to have chains in addition to 3pmsf, but maybe I haven't gone to the really snowy areas.

YoavDana Raz

Reaction score
Ha Ha
Indeed we have once or twice in a year
Snow. That’s way snow tiers are not so relevant. In the mountain area were there are some remote villages. We had this situation of rescuing cars.so the chains are mainly for rescue cars.
So we have an option of towing stuck cars with an ease.
Thanks all for the help.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I grew up in Wisconsin (but real mountain terrain and snow not so much), we used chains probably all of 2 times my entire growing up years. Always a pain, hopefully better technology nowadays.
But then came studded snow tires - remember those?
And then actual real snow tires.

Now I am in Houston, TX. - snow - HA!

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My neighbor just got studded snow tires this winter, they're still available and Les Schwab pushes them, despite the damage they do to the roads and the availability of suitable studless ice tires.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor just got studded snow tires this winter, they're still available and Les Schwab pushes them, despite the damage they do to the roads and the availability of suitable studless ice tires.

When conditions are truly nasty there is no substitute for studded tires. OP is in Israel so that may be overkill lol. If I was him I would just take the day off until the snow melts away the next day...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99