Spray Painting Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Can't wait to see it all done.

Trynian

Reaction score
That's not good... looks like I may have to get an extra tire.... How far did you travel before you got the error? I may have traveled 10 miles and didn't get any errors.
Thanks for the heads up Trynian!

Less then half a mile. The total diameter difference at the time was abut 1.5 inches.

Delray

Reaction score
Its possible my fault was caused by something else. It was parking brake and HDC fault. No special programs available. Not sure if I was locked in normal or access height. I would like to put one of my old/OEM wheels under as a spare, but sounds like I need something closer to the other tires.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep; that's the same issue a lot of us off-roading types have faced over the years. I run 30" tires on my 19s between October and March because I'm not on trails that time of year (snow in our wheelin' area) and I'm on the freeway a lot (football game travel) and then the rest of the year I run 32" MT/Rs.

I keep a 30" Michelin Synchrone under the LR3 all year round and then when I'm wearing the MT/Rs I just toss a loose spare in the boot. That loose spare is a 275/65R18 BFG Long Trail TA mounted on a BMW X5 rim! I paid $100 for both, mounted & balanced! :)

It's a "get me home" spare only.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm, sounds like you got it worked out! So you run 275/65's?
It looks like I'll be shopping for at least one 265/65 if not two since I just bought two spares...

ralph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
painted wheels

They look nice, did you think about using Plasti Dip. It seems to a popular way to go. I'm thinking about trying it on LR3.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got home a little later and ran out of daylight, but all 265/65's are painted and on. I did throw the 255/60 underneath and put the donut in the garage. I'll post some pics in daylight tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20140210_184420.jpg
    20140210_184420.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20140210_184225.jpg
    20140210_184225.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20140210_184130.jpg
    20140210_184130.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 39

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look nice, did you think about using Plasti Dip. It seems to a popular way to go. I'm thinking about trying it on LR3.

Yes, I did think about Plasti Dip but knew that I am going to keep them black and hoping the spray will last longer. I still think its a good route to take though. I haven't seen it in a satin black... just the flat and I wanted to do the satin. I did pick some up and will be doing the lettering and intake vent with the plasti dip.

Which brings another question.... has anyone used plasti dip on the wheel arches and the other plastic trim? All of my trim is soo gray, but haven't used any products to bring it back to life yet either.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
Which brings another question.... has anyone used plasti dip on the wheel arches and the other plastic trim? All of my trim is soo gray, but haven't used any products to bring it back to life yet either.

I just hit mine with back to black about once a quarter and I get compliments on it regularly. It only take me about an hour to hit it up good and even my car wash will do it for me for not to much of a fee.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit mine with back to black about once a quarter and I get compliments on it regularly. It only take me about an hour to hit it up good and even my car wash will do it for me for not to much of a fee.

Cool man, I should give back to black a shot before I go crazy and spray everything! I've seen good reviews on these forums in the past with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72