squealing brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto. Carguy67, please let us know which after market pads you went with and feedback on their wear. Thanks!

RickDC

Reaction score
I changed my rotors (to Brembo) and pads, and they still squeal when reversing... now my LR dealership is saying that can't honour the TSB as I'm using unapproved parts (so I have to purchase LR pads so they can honour it - grrr).

However, when I changed my girlfriends Highlander brakes and rotors yesterday, I noticed to springy hair clip type pieces of metal used to keep the brake pads apart. However, these aren't on my LR - any ideas if they're supposed to be? Maybe that's why we're getting a lot of wear?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, once you start changing OEM parts out for aftermarket, no one will warranty. Them falls in line with any manufacturer.

I'm surprised you are still getting squeal, wasn't the TSB for clips of some sort? Maybe they can just give you the part they use to fix TSB and you install them.

Last edited:

RickDC

Reaction score
Laszlo... thanks.. but I took it in and showed it to them squealing, I referred them to the TSB and they said that the squealing was due to the brake pads / rotors (pads were down to 10%) and quoted me $1000 to change them. So I changed them myself (1hr and $300), took it back in because it was still squealing in reverse and now they're saying it's because of aftermarket...

I still say the squealing might occur because of the pads rubbing lightly against the disks unlike the spring style spreaders that I saw in the Highlander..

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laszlo... thanks.. but I took it in and showed it to them squealing, I referred them to the TSB and they said that the squealing was due to the brake pads / rotors (pads were down to 10%) and quoted me $1000 to change them. So I changed them myself (1hr and $300), took it back in because it was still squealing in reverse and now they're saying it's because of aftermarket...

I still say the squealing might occur because of the pads rubbing lightly against the disks unlike the spring style spreaders that I saw in the Highlander..

Geez, that really rots. I think the TSB was for a small clip or something, nothing to do with pads/rotor... the clip would rub the rotor. Something like that. I know someone wrote up details on the issue. But it wasn't pads/rotor replacement... some small part... and of course, if they replace the small part, they replace the pads or something as part of the fix, under the TSB, no charge. Your LR guys should have noted that rather than quoting you and pushing you into doing the brakes yourself.

Last edited:

RickDC

Reaction score
Hope this helps someone, this is the TSB that relates to squealing brakes for 2010/2011 (replacing the calipers):

TECHNICAL BULLETIN
NO: LTB00380 (ISSUE 1)
25 MAY 2011
SECTION: 206
'Squeal' Noise from Rear Brakes when Reversing
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
LR4 (LA) VIN: BA547440 - Onwards
Model Year: 2011 - Onwards
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: BA257940 - BA299999
BA700000 - Onwards
CONDITION SUMMARY:
NOTE: Some 2010-2011MY vehicles prior to the start VINs listed above may be found to have iron
calipers (refer to Technical Bulletin LTB00287 for more information and assistance with caliper
identification). If such a vehicle exhibits the brake noise as described in the 'Situation' statement,
then the repair procedure outlined here can be applied as well.
Situation: On Land Rover LR4 and Range Rover Sport (naturally aspirated) vehicles fitted with cast iron
calipers, a brake 'squeal' noise may be evident from the rear brakes while moving in reverse. Typically this
noise is exhibited with light pedal application, slow speed, and when brakes are cold, such as the initial time
reversing out of a driveway or parking space in the morning.
NOTE: Brake linings, brake discs, and any other friction-related components are not covered when
due to wear and tear but are covered for manufacturing, material defects, or the failure of another
warranted part during the lifetime of the warranty. Refer to Warranty Policies and Procedures Manual
for further details.
Action: In the event of a customer concern of the above, refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to
replace the rear brake caliper carriers and rear brake pads and install abutment springs.
PARTS:
LR019627 ................Rear brake pads Qty: 1
LR032058 ................Rear brake caliper carrier - RH Qty: 1
LT032059.................Rear brake caliper carrier - LH Qty: 1
LR032060 ................Abutment spring kit Qty: 1
TOOLS:
Refer to Workshop Manual for any required special tools
25 MAY 2011 TECHNICAL BULLETIN
Page 2 of 2
WARRANTY:
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change;
those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair
time.
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a
quantity of zero.
DESCRIPTION SRO TIME
(HOURS)
CONDITION
CODE
CAUSAL PART
Carrier Assembly - Caliper - Rear - Set - Renew 70.55.31 0.80 42
LR015521 - RH
LR015521 - LH
Normal Warranty policies and procedures apply
REPAIR PROCEDURE
REPLACE REAR BRAKE CALIPER CARRIERS AND PADS
NOTE: Refer to Technical Bulletin LTB00287 for rear brake caliper identification assistance.
1. Refer to Workshop Manual, section 206-04: Rear Disc Brake, and remove the left rear brake caliper carrier.
NOTE: The large casting lobe of the new caliper carrier
must be located at the bottom of the caliper.
NOTE: The black rubber based abutment spring must
be fitted with to the lower part of the carrier.
2. Install one (1) new abutment spring to new left rear brake
caliper carrier. (Figure 1)
NOTE: The brake caliper carriers are handed (left-hand
/ right-hand) and must be fitted with the black rubberbased
abutment spring at the lower part of the carrier.
3. Refer to Workshop Manual, section 206-04: Rear Disc
Brake, and install the new left rear brake caliper carrier with
new brake pads. (Figure 2)
4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 to right rear brake caliper / carrier.
Figure 1
Figure 2

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope this helps someone, this is the TSB that relates to squealing brakes for 2010/2011 (replacing the calipers):

TECHNICAL BULLETIN
25 MAY 2011
SECTION: 206
'Squeal' Noise from Rear Brakes when Reversing
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
LR4 (LA) VIN: BA547440 - Onwards
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: BA257940 - BA299999
BA700000 - Onwards
CONDITION SUMMARY:
NOTE: Some 2010-2011MY vehicles prior to the start VINs listed above may be found to have iron
calipers (refer to Technical Bulletin LTB00287 for more information and assistance with caliper
identification). If such a vehicle exhibits the brake noise as described in the 'Situation' statement,
then the repair procedure outlined here can be applied as well.
Situation: On Land Rover LR4 and Range Rover Sport (naturally aspirated) vehicles fitted with cast iron
calipers, a brake 'squeal' noise may be evident from the rear brakes while moving in reverse. Typically this
noise is exhibited with light pedal application, slow speed, and when brakes are cold, such as the initial time
reversing out of a driveway or parking space in the morning.
NOTE: Brake linings, brake discs, and any other friction-related components are not covered when
due to wear and tear but are covered for manufacturing, material defects, or the failure of another
warranted part during the lifetime of the warranty. Refer to Warranty Policies and Procedures Manual
for further details.
Action: In the event of a customer concern of the above, refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to
replace the rear brake caliper carriers and rear brake pads and install abutment springs.
PARTS:
LR019627 ................Rear brake pads Qty: 1
LR032058 ................Rear brake caliper carrier - RH Qty: 1
LT032059.................Rear brake caliper carrier - LH Qty: 1
LR032060 ................Abutment spring kit Qty: 1
TOOLS:
Refer to Workshop Manual for any required special tools
25 MAY 2011 TECHNICAL BULLETIN
Page 2 of 2
WARRANTY:
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change;
those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair
time.
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a
quantity of zero.
DESCRIPTION SRO TIME
(HOURS)
CONDITION
CODE
CAUSAL PART
Carrier Assembly - Caliper - Rear - Set - Renew 70.55.31 0.80 42
LR015521 - RH
LR015521 - LH
Normal Warranty policies and procedures apply
REPAIR PROCEDURE
REPLACE REAR BRAKE CALIPER CARRIERS AND PADS
NOTE: Refer to Technical Bulletin LTB00287 for rear brake caliper identification assistance.
1. Refer to Workshop Manual, section 206-04: Rear Disc Brake, and remove the left rear brake caliper carrier.
NOTE: The large casting lobe of the new caliper carrier
must be located at the bottom of the caliper.
NOTE: The black rubber based abutment spring must
be fitted with to the lower part of the carrier.
2. Install one (1) new abutment spring to new left rear brake
caliper carrier. (Figure 1)
NOTE: The brake caliper carriers are handed (left-hand
/ right-hand) and must be fitted with the black rubberbased
abutment spring at the lower part of the carrier.
3. Refer to Workshop Manual, section 206-04: Rear Disc
Brake, and install the new left rear brake caliper carrier with
new brake pads. (Figure 2)
4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 to right rear brake caliper / carrier.
Figure 1
Figure 2

Wow, thanks! Great info.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my rotors (to Brembo) and pads, and they still squeal when reversing... now my LR dealership is saying that can't honour the TSB as I'm using unapproved parts (so I have to purchase LR pads so they can honour it - grrr).

However, when I changed my girlfriends Highlander brakes and rotors yesterday, I noticed to springy hair clip type pieces of metal used to keep the brake pads apart. However, these aren't on my LR - any ideas if they're supposed to be? Maybe that's why we're getting a lot of wear?

Rick,

What were the aftermarket pads that you bought, were they Brembo too? Also, are there any specific instructions for changing the LR4 pads/rotors? I've never done a pad/rotor change but wanted to give it a try since the dealerships charge a ridiculous amount. Is it straightforward enough for a novice?

RickDC

Reaction score
Hi Hoyas,

Only the rotors were Brembo, the pads were BeckArnley ceramics.

Honestly, I'm not a mechanic (a web guy) and a bit of a DIYer, and found that changing the brake pads and brake rotors was extremely easy.

There's a couple of video's on youtube that helped:
Range Rover MKIII - Replace Brake Pads and Rotors - YouTube
Discovery LR3 - Replace Front Brake Pads and Rotors - YouTube

Main things to remember:
- Make sure you don't drop the calipers, support them using an upturned bin
- Make sure you use brake squeal lube behind the pads and where the pads slot into the calipers
- Make sure you torque every nut to spec, double check, triple check.
- Use brake cleaner afterwards to clean the rotors and the face of the brake pads
- Don't use new pads on a heavily scored brake disk (brembos only cost me 100 a disk)
- You will need a new brake sensor, one front, one rear as almost definitely you're going to break it removing it - they are VERY fiddly to replace so keep it in place and save it if you can (the sensor part is very delicate and the plastic will break).
- If you're sure you want to do it, do 1 side first, test braking, maybe give it a few days and then check, if you're happy then do the other side.
- Do very very light and slow braking for the first 100-200km (I'm in Canada!), to let the brake pads set.
- These are your brakes, they save your life, if you're not absolutely sure goto a mechanic...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112