squealing brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

griffon

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 with 20,000 miles on it. Today, I noticed that, after sitting still while parked, the brakes started "squealing" while and after backing up. I pulled forward, and it continued. However, once we went on our way
, the squealing did not occur again when we braked. This has happened twice, with the problem resolving after we get going. Does anyone have any idea what this indicates?

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 with 20,000 miles on it. Today, I noticed that, after sitting still while parked, the brakes started "squealing" while and after backing up. I pulled forward, and it continued. However, once we went on our way
, the squealing did not occur again when we braked. This has happened twice, with the problem resolving after we get going. Does anyone have any idea what this indicates?

this is a clear indication (and confirmation) that you have OEM LR brake parts.
:beer:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I've got 900 miles on my 2013 LR4, backing up squeals almost every time. I think they chamfer the leading edge of the pads to prevent squeal going forwards, but not backwards.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I've got 900 miles on my 2013 LR4, backing up squeals almost every time. I think they chamfer the leading edge of the pads to prevent squeal going forwards, but not backwards.
Hey mbw,

You may want to bring it to the dealership as some other guys on this forum had it fixed - there is a known TSB (though not sure for 2013?).

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think its anything too alarming. It never does it going forward.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think its anything too alarming. It never does it going forward.
I don't think so either, but I know that several people had it fixed... There is a known TSB on squealing breaks when reversing.

carguy 67

Reaction score
It is a ongoing problem, has been since day one. Just search this forum and you will see multiple complaints, mine included. TSB didnt fix it and the squeal will not go away until you buy different non-oem brake pads and rotors. Ireplaced all of mine (front/rear rotors and pads) and have had no problems since. BTW dealer was 100% worthless on this and LRNA could care less, I have dealt with both.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a ongoing problem, has been since day one. Just search this forum and you will see multiple complaints, mine included. TSB didnt fix it and the squeal will not go away until you buy different non-oem brake pads and rotors. Ireplaced all of mine (front/rear rotors and pads) and have had no problems since. BTW dealer was 100% worthless on this and LRNA could care less, I have dealt with both.

Which non-OEM pads and rotors did you install? I'm at about 26k and, based on the brake pedal travel, feel like I'm due soon for my third set of brakes (first set was replaced at 14k).

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 1k miles on her already. Going forward never seems to be an issue, but in reverse... holy sh** does it squeal.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes please update which aftermarket pads you used. thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72