Squealing brakes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried a variety of aftermarket brakes on my LR3. In short time the rears always squealed and the front rotors warped, especially in winter. On my LR4 I'm staying with OEM rotors and pads. Replaced at 45K miles and last week at 88K miles. Always quiet, no warping and the lasting for 40K+ miles is pretty decent too. Stay with OEM pads & rotors...from my experience and others here, they are the best option.
i dont necessarily disagree with you but if you can get 6 to 20 ft of more stopping power that can be a life/death difference no? or is your view all those tests are crap and all pads and rotors will be within a few inches of each other?

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any Land Rover dealer. If doing the work yourself, you can buy them online at a discounted price from landrovermerriamparts.com
No i meant whose parts does lr use? For example Akebono supplies many manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont necessarily disagree with you but if you can get 6 to 20 ft of more stopping power that can be a life/death difference no? or is your view all those tests are crap and all pads and rotors will be within a few inches of each other?

I have no idea what the tested stopping distance is for OEM brakes. I'm not taking the LR4 to the track. From 200K+ miles of driving I can say that they have never faded or overheated or disappointed me in any way. I feel the LR4 stops very quickly given the weight. I've had a couple of emergency braking situations where I have felt the brake assist kick in and it worked perfectly.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
track is irrelevant. im saying on the street in an emergency situation a few ft can make a big difference, thats all.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my dealer said they use bendix products. never heard of that company

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM LR rotos are Brembo (stamped right on the hat beside the LR part number. Since we are talking the hypothetical emergency situation keep in mind many "high performance" solutions require the pads to be warmed up (hot) for their best performance. This is usually not the situation most vehicles would encounter. The more likely scenario would entail stomping on cold brakes with maximum effort (ie. deer on road).

There is nothing wrong with the LR OEM equipment. Great bite/feel and power although they dust like mad. A portion of the dust is not only pads but the rotor itself. High carbon rotors (which the LR4 uses) are particularly bad.

The only aftermarket brake parts I have used with success are Zimmermann (made in Germany). The vast majority of the braking parts out there are made in China and in my experience the quality varies too much. I now have a USA/England/Germany/Japan only rule for my brakes. The straw that broke the camels back was 2 sets of Raybestos Professional grade rotors that were 0.04 - 0.06 runout out of the box. Never again.

Last edited:

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brembos for the brembo calipers. My lr4 doesnt have brembo calipers - does yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72