starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1angel1

Reaction score
heres an albeit dumb question 2000 landrover discovery II when I go to crank it. It wont crank. Would you say the battery has discharged so low that it wont crank?? Lights and accessories come on, but wont crank.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start by checking battery connections, and the battery for juice... you can always get a jump start, if it starts then replace the battery.

1angel1

Reaction score
I am getting the battery charged to day and will put it in this evening. Hopefully this is where my problems lies. Per advanced auto when tested the battery did have a low charge.

1angel1

Reaction score
I supposedly had battery charged, well i got home and put in the disco, still wouldnt crank. Jumped it and it started and ran like a champ for rest of the night. Got up went to work it ran great, leaving work wouldnt start, had to jump. Got home. Next morning same deal wouldnt start, will get new battery this week end. Any suggestions on what to go with??

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Buy any battery with a long warranty. I buy from any auto parts store... avoid the expensive batteries, they are not worth the money for normal everyday use.

1angel1

Reaction score
thanks for heads up. let you know if this the problem.

1angel1

Reaction score
Okay, new battery and post put on, still not cranking. gauges on radio working, attempted to crank and it does nothing. Smelled a weird burning smell, unsure where from other in the front compartment. Any ideas??

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Burning smell isn't good, sounds like it is time to check all the fuses and check wires.

How many miles? It could be a bad starter, but I would rush out and buy one... I am sure you probably needed the battery.

Check fuses and wiring first (do you have an aftermarket alarm?)

Also try locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key 4 times prior to attempting to start.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it clicking when you go to start it or does it turn over slow? As you are trying to start it try tapping on the starter with a blunt object, You don't have to beat on it, just a tap. Check those terminals again, They can be goofy, Also use some electrical grease on them.

1angel1

Reaction score
it has 109,000 miles. no after market alarm system, just standard. tried the lock unlock. still wouldnt work. It would run when it was jumped. My mechanic said he would give me a free look over. and let me know. I will try to jump it today and get it there. Thats the weird thing it was starting when jumped. After it sat for a while it would do nada.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4