Steering Wheel Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrtp4

Reaction score
Cypress - wow, I have an identical issue to yours - word for word the same. I thought it was unbalanced tires, but they just removed my winters and installed summers (newly balanced) and the vibration is back. It happens at highway speeds, and same as you - most pronounced when I leave home and immediately get on the highway, lessens the longer I drive, but never really goes away. Please let me know if you have any success fixing the problem. If exactly the same happens to you and me, I suspect more will follow. (Mine is 2011 LR4 HSE lux)

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update! I just picked up my LR4 after having the TSB completed and my vibration and noise is gone! Much better than before, and actually feels smoother across the RPM range. I'll give another update as I put more miles on it.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mrtp4---have you had your car serviced regarding the vibration? If so, what did they say/do?

mrtp4

Reaction score
Hey Cypress -

No, I have not had it serviced yet, just no time to bring it in. Still have the same problem though. Was kind of hoping you would go first!

Last time I mentionned it to my dealer they said the tires were probably just unbalanced, so I don't think they know about the TSB. (Assuming that will even fix our problem?).

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MRTP4...I have had mine in service 5 times. Its been to two dealers. I have had tires balanced several times and replaced without luck. They replaced the entire steering system, no luck. They alligned it wtih no luck.
Let me know if you decide to take yours in. It would really help to have another view point.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MRTP4...I called my dealer today. They said they can not verify the problem because they are not allowed to drive the car over 55mph. So, I opened a case with land rover today in hopes that they can help. Any updates with you?

mrtp4

Reaction score
Hi Cypress,
Unfortunately my dealer is nearly an hour drive away, so by the time I get there the vibration is gone. Sure enough, last visit to the dealer was another "could not reproduce" from the techs.

I am scheduled to bring it in again first week of June - to be dropped off overnight so they can drive it themselves first thing in the morning.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google "flat spots" on tires. The symptoms are exactly what we are experiencing. However, the problem is that there should be many more people on this board complaining of the same thing if that was the issue. My tires were replaced by Discount Tires under warranty, but the catch was they had to be the same tire. If i knew for sure a set of different tires would fix it, i would just pay for a different set of tires--but I might end up paying over $1000 for a solution that may not work. Let your dealer know i have the same exact problem you do. Also, do not hesitate to call Land Rover and open a case...I did that yesterday. The more they hear of a problem, maybe the more likely it may get diagnosed/fixed.

Last edited:

mrtp4

Reaction score
Hey Cypress,

Quick update: Still exactly the same problem - every morning I still have a strong vibration in the steering wheel for the first 10-20 minutes of highway driving, and then it just calms down and goes away. In my latest visit to the dealer they rebalanced my tires (again) and changed my brake rotors, where I was also feeling the vibration when braking. No improvement. They even changed the actual tires to different ones, same thing. They seem to have no idea what is wrong.

I told them you have exactly the same issue. They are looking for TSBs or any other advice from LR, but I'm not sure what they plan to do next. Have you had any luck?

Long process, since they can only feel the vibration after the truck sits for several hours (e.g. overnight), so usually a two-day visit with no results.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they tried rebalancing again last week...no relief. will call next week. did you get same tires for replacement, or did you get a totally different brand??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo