Storage Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Since I decided not to sell the rover and buy a truck I need some help with storage.

Currently I have a yakima rack to carry my surf / snow boards and Mt Bike but I need more.

I'm a photographer and find myself carrying lots of light stands, lights, cameras etc so I need the room of a roof rack but I don't think I can get a 9'8" long board or a Mt Bike up there. Alot of the time I am carrying boards, camera gear and people inside to a shoot.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you already got LoadWarrior, you can always just get extension for it. If you looking to something else - get yourself adventure rack.

Some pelican cases (1600 is obvious choice)
will help you out with transporting photo and other gear on the outside of truck but in safety.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
I currently have a yakima lo rider, surf pads, snow board thingy and the cobra bike holders.

I would love to justify an adventure rack but I'm concerned about the ability to ******** the board and making those yakima bike carriers work.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you can always get Yakima's load warrior with an extension then (mega warrior or whatever it called). Will run you for about 300-400$ depending how lucky you are.

M

montanablur

Im a photographer as well that shot snowboarding as Jeff Curtes's assitant for many years, I also mountain bike and surf...

My dream rig for up top is indeed a safari rack. You can mount mountain bike racks right to a safari rack, as well as any big cases if you want to go that route. The added bonus of the safari rack being a photgrapher is being able to get high on a shooting platform... Mikey Basich had a safari rack on his van that he would mount lights to for night time rail sessions... I have recently needed such an application on a shoot for BMW, instead we went out and rented a stake bed... Imagine the perspective shooting a sick north cascades road gap from the top of your rover...

Hold out get the beefy one, you'll be stoked...

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Sinuhe,

Those are the exact reasons I want to get a rack, however the Disco racks are "stepped" and I'm not sure how to get a 9'8" up there successfully mostly due to the fact that I know no one that has one I can look at.

Justin

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Oh yea,

I'm also very jealous, I know Jeffs work very well...just a couple more terms of school and hopefully I'll be shooting / assisting.

Justin

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hannibal roof racks are not stepped, you could look at those (I know that www.atlanticbritish.com has them).

As far as fitting the yakima bike carriers, almost any roof rack you look into should be able to work with them, since they are an average of 1" tubing (and the "feet" are designed to attach to this size).

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself wilderness rack Justin, if you looking for flat one. Or Yakima Mega Warrior.

Its way cheaper than Hannibal (reason for their price, as well as SD rack still eludes me), and you get tons of accessories. 4x4connection.com got sale on them.

I am not picking on hannibal suggestion :) I just can not justify idea of spending that much money on fairly simple rack.

Also patriot racks are flat - ones from BritishPacific.com...

Surco's too.. Heck even ConFerr (though i'd steer away from them - i got one on me XTerra and its rusting off slowly, but steady. And ConFerr couldnt be bothered to answer that).

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
I'll take a look at those sergei, I really like the SD rack though and NWP sells a copy for really cheap. Actually maybe I'll roll over there and check them out. I think I live about 15min away from them!

Then I can test out everything on it!

Justin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72