Storage/Sleeping Platforms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking at a bunch of these setups over at Expedition Portal, and am starting to consider building something for my LR3. Has anyone built a sleeping platform for the LR3 that also contains some storage drawers for gear? I see plenty of them in the back of Land Cruisers, etc., but it's hard to judge how one might fit in an LR3 based on that (lower roofline, etc.).

I'm thinking about a modular system that would include 3 pieces: one for just the cargo area with the seats up, then 2 more that can be placed over the folded flat rear seats in order to create a sleeping platform (or be left out, if necessary). It would also include a slide for my 43qt refrigerator, drawers for storage and possibly a water system with 12v pump. I'm most concerned with the height of the drawers - I want them the be low enough that my dogs can still ride comfortably in the back on top of the them, but tall enough to afford some decent gear storage.

Any advice/pictures/experiences on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think one would fit great. Refer to the ones used in the Land Cruisers. The rear storage space is comparable to the LR3's.

I say DO IT!!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several solutions available. The "best" is often considered to be Outback Drawers or Black Widow drawers from overseas.

17.jpg

09.jpg

Locally, Adventure Trailer will make you what ever you want, and be far lighter, equally strong, and probably cheaper also.

open.jpg

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Nathan,
Those drawers are pretty sweet! However, they are probably just slightly too tall for my largest dog to be able to stand up comfortably...

I've started mocking up some ideas with Google Sketchup, and will likely contact Adventure Trailer to see what they think it would cost. I'm also considering building it myself, just so I can say I did :biggrin:.

-Paul

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM