DIY Cargo/Sleeping platform

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did similar years ago. I built mine to nest, where the section for the second row slides over the cargo area portion so when you need it, you just slide it forward and screw the legs into position.

I would also tell you that if you never use the third row that their is a ton of storage available underneath the platform if you pull the third row seats.

steevo

Reaction score
I keep kicking around ideas for a rear storage system, but it would make it a whole lot easier to envision/build if I got a rear tire carrier and did not have to worry about accessing the spare tire winch. This at least looks light enough that you could remove it if you need to access the spare winch, correct?
Yes, even with the plywood mounted I can easily lift it in/out by myself. The spare and 3rd row seats were why I wanted something easy to put in/remove.

adclark

Reaction score
@steevo I need one of these that spans the length and width of both the cargo and mid-seat-section (all back seats lay flat) - so my hubby and I can camp comfortably overnight at trailheads and keep our backpacking gear underneath. Any chance I can purchase one from you?!?

steevo

Reaction score
I keep kicking around ideas for a rear storage system, but it would make it a whole lot easier to envision/build if I got a rear tire carrier and did not have to worry about accessing the spare tire winch. This at least looks light enough that you could remove it if you need to access the spare winch, correct?
Yes, even with the plywood attached I can easily install and remove the entire platform by myself

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I did one similar to @steevo and @avslash. The rear looks like @steevo without the center brace, so I can get to the spare tire winch. Mine is just tall enough to fit a 5 gallon bucket and some Plano Sportsman bins. The only difference with mine is a double folding platform extension hinge mounted to the platform, and it sits perfectly behind the 2nd row. I used a set of 8020 extrusions on (server rack) slides with pivoting table stand leg to hold up the fully extended platform. 20231215_180048.jpg20231215_180111.jpg

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did one similar to @steevo and @avslash. The rear looks like @steevo without the center brace, so I can get to the spare tire winch. Mine is just tall enough to fit a 5 gallon bucket and some Plano Sportsman bins. The only difference with mine is a double folding platform extension hinge mounted to the platform, and it sits perfectly behind the 2nd row. I used a set of 8020 extrusions on (server rack) slides with pivoting table stand leg to hold up the fully extended platform.View attachment 24410View attachment 24411
Got any more closer pics of the front half of the platform and it's setup? :)

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
2nd row seats folded down and the extended platform folded in half.
20240312_213615.jpg
Extended platform half deployed with legs extended and fridge access.
20240312_213811.jpg

Clearance from the bottom of the platform with Plano storage bins.
20240312_213749.jpg

Fully deployed platform. Don't mind the mess, it was for a quick pic.
20240312_213834.jpg
Legs retracted and ready to be put away.
20240312_213917.jpg

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really clever use of the slide rails, nicely done! I'm looking to build a platform that would take the place of the 2nd row seats. Hoping I can fit most of my stuff there, and keep more headroom in the cabin. I'll probably still have to shuffle things into the front seats, but if it's just a little bit of stuff that's ok. I like being able to sit up in bed.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Yeah, my biggest gripe about my setup is lack of space with the overhead storage and ridiculously high platform. I'm a small guy and I barely fit up there. I'm a side sleeper and and I hit stuff attached to the overhead storage. I might end up building drawers and lowering the platform. Who knows.

I know I have to go back and blue loctite hundreds of screws, but this was my first iteration and I wanted to revise it down the road. I really like what @avslash did, he used square tubes and quick corner connectors that didn't require screws. Now that's a slick setup.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often do you use the 2nd row seats? It's not super tall in there, and there's the **** for the center tunnel, but by my rough estimates all my recovery gear and tools should fit where the seats were. Probably my camp kitchen too. Not the cooler, though it's easy enough to move around so no biggie if it sits above. Only downside to having everything under the platform is you have to access through the rear doors, which may or may not work well if you're in need of the recovery kit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72