stupid rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pete2528ca

Reaction score
Ok, I have been struggling with this for some time and now need to ask the experts.

Upon starting the 97 disco, I get a wierd rough idle. It spikes up to 2K rpm, drops to almost a stall. Sometimes it is good at start up and it happens during the first three or four minutes of driving. Once warm or in gear it is ok.

Sometimes it starts fine and revs at 750, other times it spikes up and stays above 1500

I have cleaned the stepper motor, done the seafoam treatment, looked for vacuum leaks, the oil isn't poluted with coolant and the coolant isn't poluted with oil. I do have a small leak in the fuel filler tube before the fuel tank.

I have tinkered with the base idle, to no avail.

any other ideas?

new wires? new plugs?

help.

Pietro

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you recently changed the tps (throttle position sensor) or was it changed by previous owner without doing a proper voltage reset? This could also be a stepper deciding its ready to head way south for the winter (forever - LoL). Find out about that tps though as an unset tps will mimick what you have described.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM