Surround Cameras

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pceresia

Reaction score
Curious if members have any views on the surround cameras and their functionality. I've had this option on both my 2010 LR4 as well as my current 2016 LR4. While the back up camera is quite useful in spite of the severe distance distortion, I am particularly confounded by the cameras in each of the door mirrors. I haven't quite figured why anyone would want to look at the ground directly below the mirrors. Does anyone know how to change this view angle? If these cameras were faced rear ward and slightly outward, they could be great blind spot assistance aides. Additionally has anyone found a way to keep the backup camera clean?
Look forward to your thoughts, Cheers

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Moving to the LR4 section as this would be more relevant there.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The surround camera system introduced in 2010 was designed with off-roading in mind. The side cameras are useful when trying to place wheels in the proper spot.

pceresia

Reaction score
I don't have much off-road experience so I hadn't thought of this type of use. I'd still be interested in knowing if anyone has changed the viewing angle for the two mirror cameras. The blind spot assist strikes me as a very useful possibility.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are designed for people to park the 20" wheeled vehicles outside the shops so they don't curb wheels.

I don't buy that they are great off road, the camera quality is so low (potato quality) and the depth perception also poor. It is easier to just lean out the window when off road. I didn't get this feature on mine because I thought it was a bit useless. The system on my wifes 2017 Infiniti QX50 is much much nicer, and she loves it for parking. You can see the lines in a parking lot and how close you are to things.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most drivers wont care if they curb their 20" wheels. I agree the resolution is horrible but it was introduced 8 years ago. I 'm not sure if LR upgraded the quality along the way or not. When off road how do you drive and lean out the passenger side window?

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I back in my vehicle in a high traffic area at work, typically full size trucks park next to me blocking my view. The junction view provides an amazing view looking left/right from the front bumper allowing me to pull out without having to worry about getting clipped by cross traffic. I use this daily.

aj22

Reaction score
Most drivers wont care if they curb their 20" wheels. I agree the resolution is horrible but it was introduced 8 years ago. I 'm not sure if LR upgraded the quality along the way or not. When off road how do you drive and lean out the passenger side window?

Lots of people care about curb rash on expensive wheels. These are mostly for parking - pretty common feature on lots of sedans these days. My neighbors e350 with these cams sure isn’t made for off-roading. That said, I never found the LR4 hard to park because it isn’t that wide, and great sight lines in general. But lots of wide cars/trucks with high sills can be difficult. In NYC I want to be within an inch or two of the curb without rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pceresia

Reaction score
Interesting views on the use of the surround camera option. I would find the mirror mounted cameras more useful if I could redirect their view to serve as blind spot assists augmenting the in mirror alerting system. Has anyone attempted to change the viewing angle of these mirror mounted cameras? Also, has anyone found a way to keep dirt off the backup camera lens, other than the obvious of manually wiping it regularly?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, has anyone found a way to keep dirt off the backup camera lens, other than the obvious of manually wiping it regularly?

Mine never seems to get so dirty that it becomes an issue. But your question gave me an idea. I may try hitting it with some Rain-X or some detailing spray to see if that helps reduce dirt and film.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72