Suspension Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lakeranger

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, soon after 200k miles the warning on suspension fault suddenly disappeared and hasn't returned. These vehicles have gremlins that come and go.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the RSWSolutions device to read the fault and it is "Pressure increases too rapid when filling reservoir". I can clear the fault but it soon returns. I haven't seen any others with this fault code on any forum. This is considered a "soft" fault for a minor issue but the manual indicates all faults should be repaired as soon as possible. And I really don't like to see a message that there is a problem, so I'd like to get it repaired. I have ordered a new relay and a drier rebuild kit for the AMK compressor. This compressor was replaced about 2 years ago along with all 4 air shocks. The vehicle height dosn't change at all overnight so it is holding air. Unfortunately just after the fault appeared I found about 1/2 inch of water under the compressor in the spare tire compartment. This is apparently leaking in from the sunroof area. I will also check the air intake filter that is located next to the electronics in the rear left compartment. Also I read that the wiring harness and/or air lines into the compressor compartment may have a misaligned grommet that allows water to enter. I've also read that the brake light switch and/or bulbs may cause similar fault issues. Anyone have any other ideas or helpful suggestions?
I was able to identify and solve the same fault issue with mine yesterday. The valve body that controls the pressure going to the reservoir and the front and rear air suspension had a valve that was sticking due to some dirt hanging up one of the o rings.

I spent about an hour total on the repair and it cost me $0 to fix. (Least expensive fix I’ve ever had on my 8 rovers I’ve owned)

Apparently when the valve sticks the algorithm determines a blockage to the reservoir (the stuck valve) and intermittently generates the “pressure increases too rapidly” message. Another interesting symptom is when the valve sticks, the reservoir can’t release air pressure so the vehicle raises very slowly (using only compressor air instead of combination). Once the valve was cleaned, all symptoms back to normal.

For the repair:

1. Use gap iid tool (or other ECM control) to depressurize the system.
2. Remove compressor cover
3. Valve block sits right in front of compressor, remove two electrical connections and four air lines.
4. Open valve body by removing three torx screws
5. Clean four o rings in the valve body. There are three on the little metal cylinder. My fourth and smallest was stuck up in the valve body. It was very clear to me the one that was sticking as the assembly is spring activated and it was stuck together (no spring action) upon disassembly.
6. Reassemble and refit.
7. Use gap tool to repressurize system
8. Check for leaks (I heard slight leak and had to refit one of the lines)
9. Replace cover and you’re done

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut