Suspension lowering with doors open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So twice now this has happened in the last week;

The first time I was at work, had front passenger door open, and front passenger side of my LR3 lowered all the way down (I have Johnson rod lift kit). later that day when it was time to go, it raised back up.

Second time just now had the back driver side door open, and the back driver side lowered all the way.

I did not think the suspension lowered or raised with the doors open! Much less on its own!

Now lately it has been throwing random suspension faults while sitting at stop lights (the rear end dances about a bit then says suspension fault), could this be related?

Anywhere in Arizona I can figure out why it is having suspension faults without having to pay Land Rover Scottsdale $168?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the two behaviors are unrelated, actually. Most of us long-time owners have had our vehicles raise or lower with the doors open at some point. That design characteristic was shown to be no always true a long time ago.

As for the fault, what else can you say about it? Amber? Did the LR3 lower? Did the EAS still function? What did the driver information center say? Were you at Normal Height when it occurred? There are many varieties of suspension faults...

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it happens usually one side in the rear feels like it lowers while the opposite side raises, then it goes back to normal height and then I get the msssage "suspension fault" with the amber light. To get rid of the message I will either raise or lower the LR3 (both still work), I dont think I have ever seen the message raised or lowered.

Only once did the suspension tell me "not available" when it was 14 below zero.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a sensor/calibration issue but I'm only guessing.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frame jacks when you are under it.

I have no answer to why the 3 will lower, no actually drop, when the book say it should not, but it does, and in milliseconds.

I guess the boffins at Land Rover when pressed, might call it a software glitch; me, I now always use frame jacks when underneath.

I got my education a few years back when as I was walking away from it with the rear hatch open, it just dropped to the stops - no reason, it just dropped.

I always regarded myself as that time lucky, and it was my warning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635