Swing away rear tire prototype pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05lr3guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the second photo (on the grassy knoll), you can see a secondary washer plate that I presume to go on the inside of the steel bumper frame. I would suggest perhaps a rectangular plate that distributes load a little more on either side of the mounting point, but the idea is sound, and is similar to how the Rasta tire carrier is mounted I think.

To answer your other question, yes, you would just drill a hole in the snap in bumper cover tread plate. You can access the inside of the bumper frame from underneath, so you only need the top hole for the pivot hinge to go through.

Thank you for all your input! However I have decided on a different approach for the hinge/pivot. My first design that I had in mind was strictly a bolt on carrier, I did not want the buyer to have to weld on the LR3. But upon closer inspection this is unavoidable. Once you remove the bumper cover, the actual bumper does not extend outward very much. The bumper cover is very hollow on the outside and it is not really much of a surprise that the actual bumper is very thin. My new hinge will have a spindle and bearings that will both be a simpler design and a better value for the buyer. The spindle will be a weld in piece and also I am going to include a piece to properly "box" the outside edge of the bumper. "Between the frame rails the bumper is boxed" The carrier will also be attached to the middle of the bumper to reduce any vibration, I should have my new pivot from the machine shop before friday.

05lr3guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the revised version. The new hinge has a 1.5 inch machined spindle and a set bearings. Very strong and very smooth.

Attachments

• IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work! This could be a very popular item.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it belongs. If I had the need, I would certainly be in line for one!

You hinge is your design and you had a machine shop make it? Boy to have access to a machine shop at a reasonable price...

J.D.

05lr3guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Verdict on a price, yet?

Thanks! The pricing is going to be $850.00 powder coated and $750.00 unpainted plus shipping . But I am going to do a special of $700.00 shipped CONUS with powder coating until December 1st. (kinda like a group buy) After the first I will go to the standard pricing. If interested PM me for my paypal. I am working on getting a web page set up for ordering.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM