swing weights behind rear bumper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

toddjb123

Okay, here's a pickle for ya...I don't know what to call them, but behind each corner of your rear bumper there is a heavy cast iron swing weight. Seems to pivot. What is it?

I was under the truck staring at the exhaust (wondering if it is stainless steel) and noticed the two swing weights.

My best guess is they are hooked up to some sensor for acceleration or deceleration. Dunno. When I move them it sounds like I can hear a switch being hit, but they could also be hitting some foil.

...I tell ya though, I love this truck more every day I drive it. I actually find myself driving *slower* in it. Not because it doesn't have balls, but because I enjoy driving it so much I'm not in a rush to get anywhere! :)

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weights hanging in front of the rear bumper are to counteract resonate frequency vibrations coming from the frame of the truck. Covered numerous times in other forums, and probably this one, too.

D

disco1

Swinging weights behind rear bumper

I think I found what you are looking at!

Attachments

• Hanging-swinging things under truck.bmp
    94.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited by a moderator:
T

toddjb123

...thanks. sorry if i annoyed anyone by asking a duplicate question. i've been reading this forum since last year and didn''t remember that topic mentioned before (but it apparently was).

they certainly are an odd looking thought provoking item to find under your truck. i'm certain this won't be the last time someone asks this. is there an LR3 FAQ? :)

the link on this site (thanks tim!) doesn't seem to reach a decision on what they are. either way, they are either a really innovative solution to a common problem, or this is a last ditch bug-fix to cover up some design issue they were having IMO.

disco, nice ball hitch!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Freeflytim

Yeah, it is a last ditch effort to cover something up!

A buddy of mine is a Nissan engineer and he found them right away.
He laughs that Nissan spends millions of dollars making a vehicle lighter, only to have weights hanging all over the frame!

Disco1- I like the pix!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM