SYA Kit, Oversize Tires and Stability Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've had my SYA kit and 255/65R19's for a couple months or so now, I've been really happy with the way it came out.

We have noticed a bit of an issue though and I'm curious if anyone has feedback they can share on it. We live in the mountains and regularly drive on small, twisty roads. We're definitely not slow drivers but not speed demons either.

The stability control is kicking on regularly, you can see it flashing on and off when cornering and occasionally feel it making a correction. I haven't seen this on the highway (the one I live off is very curvy) but it happens quite often on slower-speed, very twisty side roads. It also seems to occur more often when turning to the left.

Anybody dealt with this before? Is it something I just have to live with due to my setup?

Thanks in advance,
Lee

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Are you running aftermarket lift rods, 2" or 2.5"?

I'd recommend running 2.5" lift rods and recalibrate your suspension with the iid tool by adding 0.5" to each corner.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Lucky 8 SYA kit, it is spacers over the struts plus 2.5" rods and limiting straps. The suspension is re-calibrated at +65mm if I remember correctly.

Wedscvr

Reaction score
I too have a SYA kit and have experienced a similar problem. My problem was with the SYA kit, but was a bad inner tie rod. It first manifested itself as a dead spot in the steering and progressively got worse.

I originally replaced the inner tie rod with a Delphi one which wore out in less 300 miles. I suggest jacking up the front and moving each front wheel paying attention to the tie rods.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I have the Lucky 8 SYA kit, it is spacers over the struts plus 2.5" rods and limiting straps. The suspension is re-calibrated at +65mm if I remember correctly.

The SYA kit is meant for bigger tires and emergencies. When the suspension fails and drops down to bump stops you can still drive at normal height. It doesn't affect the height sensors or height of the truck.

With that said, calibration should be done prior to the SYA kit with oem rods and then you can add the lift rods. It is nearly impossible to calibrate the suspension with the SYA kit installed and with oem rods. The 2" SYA spacer will ALWAYS show the truck is at oem height.

With the 2.5" lift rods, you can recalibrate the suspension properly with the SYA kit installed. You will need to add 0.5" to each corner. You won't get the additional 2.5" lift out of the lift rods, but it'll allow you to recalibrate properly. I would simply use the IID Tool to adjust the ride height.

Cutting to the chase, the issue you're having with too much body roll is due calibration. I've been there and recalibration typically fixes these issues.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SYA kit is meant for bigger tires and emergencies. When the suspension fails and drops down to bump stops you can still drive at normal height. It doesn't affect the height sensors or height of the truck.

With that said, calibration should be done prior to the SYA kit with oem rods and then you can add the lift rods. It is nearly impossible to calibrate the suspension with the SYA kit installed and with oem rods. The 2" SYA spacer will ALWAYS show the truck is at oem height.

With the 2.5" lift rods, you can recalibrate the suspension properly with the SYA kit installed. You will need to add 0.5" to each corner. You won't get the additional 2.5" lift out of the lift rods, but it'll allow you to recalibrate properly. I would simply use the IID Tool to adjust the ride height.

Cutting to the chase, the issue you're having with too much body roll is due calibration. I've been there and recalibration typically fixes these issues.

I'm still having trouble getting my brain wrapped around the calibration with this kit. I'll have to find my original thread to get the exact number but it was calibrated following Michael Gain's advice which I believe was +63 mm. This was done with the spacers and 2.5" lift rods in place.

Are you saying this is set too high?

Lee

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I've commented on that thread too. My guess is that Michael Gain's suggestion is to add +63mm to accommodate and add the 2.5" lift rods into they system's overall "oem" ride height. I personally had lots of issues trying to go down this route.

The IID Tool will max out calibrations at 250 for each corner, and will error out trying to apply the settings. So, adding +63 doesn't work for me. All my calibrations trying to accommodate the 2.5" or even getting to oem height seem to have an adverse affect on drivability. Meaning it either feels too soft taking corners or too stiff on normal streets. Maybe it's just me, but I found calibrating it to near oem height +0.5" had the best results when I have the SYA w/limiting straps and 2.5" rods. Plus, I'm using an x-lifter for adjusting my ride height. That's the other thing, I originally purchased the x-lifter for auto-leveling the truck while camping. When I have calibration issues, it doesn't level off properly.

Again, my guess for the excessive body roll has to do with your calibration. If you have the IID Tool, it doesn't hurt to try saving your current settings (screenshot) as a reference point and go through the guided recalibration with +0.5" at each corner. If it doesn't work, just use the manual calibration and manually change the settings back to the screenshot settings.

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've commented on that thread too. My guess is that Michael Gain's suggestion is to add +63mm to accommodate and add the 2.5" lift rods into they system's overall "oem" ride height. I personally had lots of issues trying to go down this route.

The IID Tool will max out calibrations at 250 for each corner, and will error out trying to apply the settings. So, adding +63 doesn't work for me. All my calibrations trying to accommodate the 2.5" or even getting to oem height seem to have an adverse affect on drivability. Meaning it either feels too soft taking corners or too stiff on normal streets. Maybe it's just me, but I found calibrating it to near oem height +0.5" had the best results when I have the SYA w/limiting straps and 2.5" rods. Plus, I'm using an x-lifter for adjusting my ride height. That's the other thing, I originally purchased the x-lifter for auto-leveling the truck while camping. When I have calibration issues, it doesn't level off properly.

Again, my guess for the excessive body roll has to do with your calibration. If you have the IID Tool, it doesn't hurt to try saving your current settings (screenshot) as a reference point and go through the guided recalibration with +0.5" at each corner. If it doesn't work, just use the manual calibration and manually change the settings back to the screenshot settings.

Sounds like I'm going to have to pick up an IID tool. I've put so much money into that truck this year I was trying to avoid it though I'd love to have one. I'm also going to reach out to Lucky 8, it's pretty weird that they have no recommendations on this considering it's their kit.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Sounds like I'm going to have to pick up an IID tool. I've put so much money into that truck this year I was trying to avoid it though I'd love to have one. I'm also going to reach out to Lucky 8, it's pretty weird that they have no recommendations on this considering it's their kit.

Lucky8 gives a discount for being a member of the FB "Land Rover LR3/LR4 Discovery 3/4 owner's group". Join the group and ask for the discount when you call in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut