Tailgate Brake Light Plastic Faded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peconic21

Reaction score
Any recommendations on polishing the tailgate brake light plastic?? It’s faded and I thought about replacing the light with a new one, but it’s a serious job and would rather try to polish the plastic. Thx!

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most consumer friendly option would be using a headlight restoration kit on it. A lot of them attach a buffing pad to a drill, and include polishing compound. Some you sand some you don't, but most importantly is something that will provide UV protection after the fact.

If you have experience with a DA polisher, you can use most compounds to polish headlight/taillight plastic, but you need some coating to prevent the degradation from happening again.

If you post a photo I can help recommend a product, just need to see how faded they are.

Also, I've pulled my taillights before to upgrade the reverse bulbs. It's super simple.

rolledover

Reaction score
I think OP is referring to the high-mount brake light in the tailgate which is glued in place. Mine is faded as well, might try your idea of using a headlight restoration kit on it. If I get to it I'll post results.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think OP is referring to the high-mount brake light in the tailgate which is glued in place. Mine is faded as well, might try your idea of using a headlight restoration kit on it. If I get to it I'll post results.
Oh yeah, misread the title, but I'd still go with a restoration kit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72