Tailgate weight rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember a previous thread about this and vaguely remember something in the 500 lb+ range which surprised me.
Yeah, I looked at a couple of D5s. Could use it in a pinch to change shoes or something, but its def not a food prep table like the D4.

Food prep? That space is for the cocktail bar at the tailgate parties.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is my kids use it daily to get out of wetsuits from surfing. And so do i. It’s really one of the main reasons why I don’t get something new. It’s funny just how incredibly useful the LR4 Tailgate is. And with the top up, it somewhat protects you from sun and rain.

And yes, I have had over 500lbs on it at once, nothing. No movement, sag or bending, creaks. Solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what the capacity is, but after using the tailgate several times on my LR3 to hoist my spare on to the roof rack, I now get significant sagging. I’m 190ish and the spare has to be north of 100lbs. The issue it causes is hard opening. I bend it back occasionally, but the damage is done and it bends fairly easily now.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But that was dynamic load, not static. As you hoisted the tyre up, presumably in a single swift motion, you momentarily exerted a much higher pressure than just the sum of your weight and the tyre's.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I bend it back occasionally, but the damage is done and it bends fairly easily now.

Wow! What part of the tailgate seems to be bending? If the static load rating is on the order of 500lbs., I wouldn't expect a couple hundred pounds of mildly dynamic loading to matter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut